Studio speakers - I need some speakers but have no idea

Hey, I'm also thinking of getting some BX8As, but one question (and this is really stupid), how would I connect them to my laptop? If they only have XLR and 1/4" jack outputs, would I need an audio interface, such as the m-audio firewire 410, to connect it to my macbook? I know I could probably use a 1/8" headphone TRS to 1/4" jack converter directly from the laptop but would that compromise sound quality? I'm confused... Any advice? Ta.

you might lose a little bit, but not a whole lot. if you have firewire, you could run to a firewire mixer (or a F.W audiointerface yeah), split to 2 channels left and right, then to the mixer and or Monitors. this will give some control over the EQ in the room too. with some firewire you can send back into the computer and record simultaneusly with an audio recorder aswell. or come out of the mixers booth L&R into another recording device, like a 24bit pocket wav recorder, another PC, Minidisc....a hardisk recorder if can afford one, fostex ones are ok

or use a desk?

anyway i got the KRK rockit 8's and they ARE HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

Word!
I just use them for djing, not production and they are bad!!!
If you want a cheaper model go for the 5's or 6's.

If you're just starting out, try checking out the M-Audio BX5's. They give a great sound and will help you in making your music because they make all mistakes in your mixing and recording very obvious. Try also checking out this post on the Jee Juh blog called best studio speakers. It gives you some great options there and all of them would be a great purchase. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom