Studio speaker making rattle sound - what could the damage be?

dj_merlin

VIP Junglist
I have had my decks setup in my friends Dad's studio for a few months now, and yesterday when mixing the right side speaker started making a rattle sound. It did not sound like the speaker had blown as there was no pop or bang sound when it happened, and you can not really hear it at a low volume.
The levels were not too high either, I would really appreciate some advice as I am panicking big time as the speakers are built into the soundproofing and are quite large, and know his Dad isnt going to be very happy if something is damaged. Im yet to test the speaker since Friday to see if it was a one off occurrence.

If anyone has had similar experiences or knows what could be the issue please help!

You checked for interference?

Its quite hard to imagine a "rattle". What does it sound like What kind of rattle? Like a golf ball in a tin can? Or more like an electronic kind of sound?

The rattle sounds like the vibrating when there is too much bass. Just had my mates Dad check it out and he reckons the bass cone is gone, said it has happened to the other speaker before and will be around £200 to repair...not great :( Does anyone know a good repair company in Berkshire/Surrey?

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Is the speaker user servicable? Eg, can you open it up? If you can open it up and play a tune and determine where exactly the sound is coming from you'll have a definitive answer.

Back
Top Bottom