Studio monitors/speakers/headphones

duckstep

So, im looking to upgrade from my current shity g35 headset to something that would be a bit more giving for mixing purposes. I dont want to spend more than 200-400 euros, but if the difference is big i can go a little higher.

Speakers(+mixer) 260 euros(normally 400)
http://www.billebro.se/myshop/myshop_start.php?APPID=2&PRID=1128

Headphones433 euros
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/denon-ah-d5000.php

Monitorx2 400 euros
http://www.billebro.se/myshop/myshop_start.php?PRID=2854

What would you recommend me to go for?
Living in a appartment if that's a factor to consider for neighborhood peace!

Monitors wise, Ive got Alesis M1 MK2 Active, picked a pair up for £90 on ebay, they are £230 or so new, amazing for the money :)

get small monitors and some headphones. i am in a similar situation. i have always had 8 inch krks but i just cant use them in new place.

get small monitors and some headphones. i am in a similar situation. i have always had 8 inch krks but i just cant use them in new place.

Hm? If i buy those studio headphones to mix with what's the point with having a monitor? I thought they both catch up the flat as good

it's maybe personal preference but my ears tend to fatigue faster when i use headphones

This ^^^

I use G35's aswell, and they fatigue my ears to the point where I get headaches and just aching ears. Like yourself, I'm looking at monitors too, and I've found a lot of good recommendations to the Yamaha HM50, but if you can go for the bigger ones go for the Yamaha HM80s because apparently they are better in sound, etc. You know, the bigger they are the more low frequency they will pick up and blast out, but if your room is too small it'll just be constant noise in your face (apparently)

If i was you id get a pair of Genelec's.... look for a pair in your price band. Particularly good for dnb and bass music as the bass isnt too tough.... but gives you just the right amount for you to make perfectly crisp and tight low end. The rest of the freq's perform very well..... I have the 8050A which are probably the top end.... but low end ones out perform others in the same bracket

If i was you id get a pair of Genelec's.... look for a pair in your price band. Particularly good for dnb and bass music as the bass isnt too tough.... but gives you just the right amount for you to make perfectly crisp and tight low end. The rest of the freq's perform very well..... I have the 8050A which are probably the top end.... but low end ones out perform others in the same bracket

dont listen to him. he is full of lies.

Since im limited on budget could you explain why a interface is good to have, what difference does it do to the sound that you wouldnt have without it?

Interfaces reduce latency and definitely improve the sound quality of the monitors, I had mine running from TRS down to 3.5mm cable, in the end I ditched it and bought a Saffire 6 USB cheap off ebay (£80) best decision ever, the preamps add a real warm analogue sound and its great for recording too :)

Since im limited on budget could you explain why a interface is good to have, what difference does it do to the sound that you wouldnt have without it?

Its not majorly important when your just starting i suppose.... but you need some sort of soundcard at least... main reason is most laptop or desktops computers soundcard arent made for production and therefore dont give you the right sound output. The first one i had was an M-Audio interface... i think i paid something like £50 for it... and you could pull it out of its dock and use it live etc.... I forget what it was... and cant be bothered to find it right now... but have a look... theres plenty around.

I needed something to make prodcution a little bit quicker/easier and to have a more hands on approach... so i bought the Yamaha O1X.... which is a audio interface and mixing desk... with a whole load of other shit.... obviously... it might be a bit out of your range at the moment.... but maybe try and find something similar in your bracket.... as it helps a lot... you dont realise just how useful it is until you have it..... but yeh... not really that essential in the beginning.

Alesis 320 got " 80Hz -20kHz", isnt that problematic as you dont get the lowlow frequencys? Seems only in higher price range they can catch as low as 40hz

hey man if you know what you are doing it shouldnt be a problem. thats why you need a pair of headphones. alternatively go for the bigger ones the 520's. but have a search for usb monitors if you on a tight budget

Back
Top Bottom