Studio monitors/speakers/headphones

Beyerdynamic headphones for hearing subfreq's, any good active monitors for the rest. 'nuff said.

i just picked up a pair of m audio av40's, monster cables and a behringer ufo202. all for 120 euros from a guy that bought them 2 months ago. still got over 9 months warranty. the sound is quite amazing. really hard to hear the sub bass though. happy not to be working in headphones!

Wait, so if you're using an interface, you need a good graphics card? But with USB monitors you do not?

i just picked up a pair of m audio av40's, monster cables and a behringer ufo202. all for 120 euros from a guy that bought them 2 months ago. still got over 9 months warranty. the sound is quite amazing. really hard to hear the sub bass though. happy not to be working in headphones!

"quite amazing"? I doubt that. Those speakers and that interface seem like a toy.

Wait, so if you're using an interface, you need a good graphics card? But with USB monitors you do not?

But the usb transfers the sound digitally which is converted to analog in the monitors section right? I'd say you need a good soundcard no matter what since they have their own drivers 'n' shizzlewhizzle

"quite amazing"? I doubt that. Those speakers and that interface seem like a toy.

for the price that is. i have used a number of monitors at SAE and these sound really good. all comes down to learning them. for now i think they ARE AMAZING.

Well, you're right. I mean that is the price for good headphones so can't blame that those are expensive.

Honestly not gonna pretend like I know all there is to know about stude monits (that's what we in the business call them). But for the best bang for your buck you can't go past the KRK Rokit 5 rp5 G2 Monitor Pair RP5G2 or as you less experienced may know them, the KRK Rokit 5's. The curved design allowes the sub bass to grow inside the black interior of the monitor which gives you a richer more harmonic sub bass with amazing treble qualities. I put a rhys through them and the extroadinary sound design engineering of the KRKS made it sound like I was rob swire reincarnated. They may be out of the price range of some of the united kingdem guys here but if you can afford them you really cant get any better. All the top industry blokes use them (avicii skrilex calvin harris one direction) and in my msn convos with those blokes they all tell me that they love them.

just a bit of advice for the newbies out there

Im deciding im gonna buy a subwoofer speaker for my monitors aswell, i want one that has the lowest possible starting hz rangelike 5(less if possible)

Anyone got any they can reccomend? Dont care about price

Nooooo don't do that. Buy good hedphones instead for the sub. 5hz? Seriously? You can't hear that, why would you want that? And, I don't even know any studio woofer that even goes that low. Lowest I can see is around 18hz or something.

If you REALLY don't care about the price I'd go for KRK 12sHO or Adam Sub 24 ahh just makes me cum to even think about those.

Nooooo don't do that. Buy good hedphones instead for the sub. 5hz? Seriously? You can't hear that, why would you want that? And, I don't even know any studio woofer that even goes that low. Lowest I can see is around 18hz or something.

If you REALLY don't care about the price I'd go for KRK 12sHO or Adam Sub 24 ahh just makes me cum to even think about those.

Well i want to be able to hear the volume down to the 5 hz part so i can adjust 5 hz for those very few sound systems that go that low. But ye probarly not really needed.
But i guess i could use a headset for adjusting the 5 hz frequencys.

The speaker i want for general studio monitoring i dont care about price for as long as they have a good low end.

Last edited:
Considering that anything below 30hz should be rolled off anyway, having a 5hz response is completely pointless. It's also untrue, no speakers go that low, it's just marketing talk.

You never want anything in your track to be under 30hz, it's just a horrible rumble frequency that you can't hear and 99.9% of speakers cannot reproduce.

lol 5hz?? mate dont just splash your cash on useless things. not to sound like a dick but maybe spend more time the theory side of sound engineering. you will be surprised how much fun production is when u actually know what you are doing... dont mean to sound like dick like i said

Don't worry I was about to say something even worse but then grew some balls. And yes, please know what you are buying, don't waste money on useless shit, unless you really want to.

Im not gonna waste my money on it since it isnt practical but just for theory:
If that sub is actually catching a 5 hz sub signal only then 5 hz wouldnt have to be cut out in songs? Or do the 5 hz cause unpleasent effects in those sound systems that dont go that low?

Its more a question of does the interface you have connected to speakers highpass @ 5 hz to avoid those unpleasent effects?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't a crossover of a mole and a bat, you don't need anything below 20hz, or above 20khz.

Back
Top Bottom