Drum & Bass Studio monitors question

Discussion in 'Production' started by yeall, Aug 2, 2013.

1. yeall

yeall New Member

Hi everyone im new to this forum.I have been making dnb for a year now and decided that i need some studio monitors.Im still going to school so my budget is small.I have been looking at Krk rokit 5 g2 and Yamaha hs50m.I hear krks are muddy and not flat,as for the yamahas i hear they are flat but have very little sub.Please give your opinion if you used any of them or recommend other monitors.

2. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

The Yamaha hs 80s are top notch, but guess they'll be out of your range. The 50s are good, and i know a few that use them, including Jayline, but like you say, the bass is lacking.. not tried the rokit 5s, but tried the 6's and didn't really get on with them.

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Whoever told you such things about the KRK's may be a bit misinformed or was mixing in a poor environment.

The Rokit series are solid, affordable near-field monitors that deliver a nice flat response. You can also adjust the the HF using the knobs on the back to match the acoustics of your particular room. The Yamaha's are nice as well and I certainly won't bash them.

Since monitors don't come with software, most retailers will give you 30-60 days to return them. I'd suggest plunking down the cash on a pair of monitors and if it turns our you're not feeling them, return them and try out another pair. Don't bother listening to them in the store in less they actually have them in a quality room that's properly setup. It's like going to a big warehouse retailer to buy a TV: they may look great in the store but will display poorly at your home.

To add, if possible I would save a bit more coin and go for a 6" series of monitors unless you plan on getting an accompanying sub for those 5". Just my .02.

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Haha, man I grew up with Jayline aka James Hicks! we're old childhood friends! How do you know him?

5. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Met him through a few friends A few years back mate, we made a collab track with him (Give It To Me which is coming out on roughtempos new label, it was originally wanted by G13) and remixed one of his first releases which should be out on sound bully this year. Also done a fair few nights with him. Nice bloke.

Had Rowney and Propz play it at Inno last year and they been backing it quite a lot with Savage Rehab and a few others

Sorry for the hijack haha

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  6. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Bro! My best advice to you is, at least for the affordable range, go with the KRK rokits. Truly if you know what sound is like and can go around the less flat tweeters and make it to your liking! Hit me up if you need any help with anything! I know my sound down to the bone... Their subwoofer response is excellent, however they could use a much clearer frequency output in the higher ends. But however to each their own and truly KRK's get the work done damn well! You will notice the difference! In the end that micro difference really isn't a big deal if you are looking at a more affordable range of speakers. However if you are looking for quality go with Mackie, Yamaha, and JBL are AMAZING ones.. Jbl especially you will drool over the quality ;) <3 Happy producing buddy! I wish you the best of luck in finding an accurate monitor. I personally use Krk's and they get the job done! They output to a good enough quality, to where I can, at least with my knowledge of sound make the sound as good as possible to be played on any sound system, clear, flat, loud, and brilliant! It's really all about knowing your sound, cause then you can use headphones and make a track.. even mix it down if you can tell the difference between high ends from the lesser treble headphones, to the clearer, flat treble monitors!

Edit- LMAO and even if you can tell the difference of sound to an accurate bone, please dont mix down on headphones, ahaha you guys know. Just saying even if you know exactly how the sound is outputting, save yourself the trouble and mix and master on a monitor ahahaha. But thats just obvious haha <3

Again buddy, hit me up if you need any sort of mixdown help! ;) <3 im all ears and always more then happy and hear to help! That goes for anyone too! <3

Edit- Also lostnthesound.. I'm wondering, I mean I do know my sound accurate 100% however accoustics im still learning, wouldn't it just be best for any acoustic room to place the high ends or everything on just zero? to get an accurate response? if you think about it! If you just listen the the frequency itself you can make music in a cave lmaoo and it will still sound top and proper! I mean im not disagreeing with acoustics hahaha not aat all! It's required to hear your full sound without moving around and having to be in awkward speaker positions. However Im just adding that you may just as easily as creating acoustics observe how sound works and frequency and truly see the 3d field it is in, and go that way. Especially how the speaker is outputting. Which all monitors, fairly are all at the industry standard for a speaker system! Then it just ranges from the midranges to the clearest. There probably is a low range but idk.. I consider KRK's midrange gold! :) And i dont mean midrange like frequencies. I mean mid range like quality! :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. yeall

yeall New Member

Thanks everyone for the help :)

8. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

9. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Yeah, typically everything at 0 (or null) will yield the best results. However, if the room one was producing in was heavy in reverb (perhaps due to high ceilings, poor flooring, lack of furniture, etc), it may be necessary to attenuate the highs of the monitors to compensate. The extra highs produced by the monitor when mixed in with the already heavily reverberated room would create a rather unpleasant mixing environment.

Acoustic treatment typically isn't at the top of every bedroom producer's shopping list (though in some cases it should be, lol). For that reason, adjusting the monitors within the context of the room's natural frequencies may be necessary to combat whatever is wreaking havoc on the mix.

Though I'm sure that most of the time keeping everything at 0/null will do just fine.

Cheers.

10. Raptor's Den

Raptor's Den Member

Definitely! LMAO dude I always have to get up and walk over to my tv to feel and hear the entire dynamic range of my sounds! For some reason the full rumble eliminates when i get nearer. But still I got to have a better acoustics but Im only producing in my bedroom, with my ideal place of studio being a tight non reverberated frequency free room! But yeah I also definitely see your point in raising the highs. I mean I feel like It would just create a guessing game of where it would sound best, since its not exactly Zero, but im sure it can and will be worked out to its proper extent!

11. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member