studio desk

Discussion in 'Production' started by Freek, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Ez all, im moving into my new home tomorrow :) first time buyer am well excited. im building my studio desk into the main bedroom (lucky gf lol) need some advise.

i am shite with DIY and making stuff etc but i cant find a decent pre-made studio stand that caters for my needs.

I want it to be a corner unit so that on one half is all my decks, cdjs mixer etc and then the other half is my monitors, screen, mbox, 24channel mixer etc. however all of the desks ive seen that look like this are absolute poo. do u no any companys that would help me design and build my desk from scratch.
    I want there to be compartments for my decks n stuff all built in so it will be very technical lol!

Any help would be great.
    Cheers

2. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

that sounds expensive man, getting someone to design one.
    why not go down to somewhere like office world and just get a big sturdy table/corner unit?
    just a thought.

3. Freek

Yea maybe, but its my first time i can build my studio exactly how i want it. i have an idea for a design, i just cant do the whole choppin and cutting lol. even if i have to glue and screw it all together i just need a company to cut the wood exactly to size and shape and to my exact design.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

4. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

I built mine form scratch... its really not that hard to do. Although if youd rather not then just buy a big table/office desk. You dont NEED a special studio desk.

5. Freek

Yea but i want one lol! i think im gonna have a go at building maself and get my mates involved lol. god help me.

6. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

May the force be with you...

7. kama

kama benkama.net

If possible you should try and position the monitors away from a wall. Get your listening position to 38% (the golden cut -ish, minimizes acoustic problems) of the room lengthwise with the monitors on the shorter wall. Corner tables can't really do this. It's not a big deal tho, but i still recommend you put some effort into acoustics. Tactical bookshelf placement along with a surgical black-ops soft sofa-on-the-back-wall-operation is key.

8. Freek

Cheers man, yea i think alot of thought needs to go into this. its just the limited space i have to work with. eventually in a year or so am gonna convert the loft and build a full on studio up there and invest in some more hardware and that is where i will take the accoustics of the room into serious consideration,
    Cheers mate

9. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

....Not to hijack this thread but...

Is it worth buying studio monitors if you're not going to turn your room into a studio with the bass traps etc etc?

10. kama

kama benkama.net

it surprisingly easy to address some acoustic problems, you don't need a big budget. In fact you can do a lot with stuff that you already have. Like for example I have a row of closets behind me. With the shelves full of linen and clothes they work pretty nicely as a bass trap, but the doors reflect high sounds, so I open them when I do music in the room. Behind the desk I use is a window (large flat space that resonates and reflects), so I picked heavy curtains for the room and close them when i mix. We have a spare matress for when friends come around from further away so I've jammed that up 1 corner of the room to act as an emergency bass trap. In first reflection points on the side walls I have a bookshelf and on the other side, and a cloth hanging on the wall on the opposide side (would beed more than just that tho). Also speaker & listening point placement is really useful. You can find stuff very easy on the subject.

So basically it's not worth not doing, because you can do a lot without any money. So I don't really know if its worth getting monitors in an 'untreated' room... Maybe not. A sub is really out of the question tho. It will just mess up your bass response.

11. bite and gouge

bite and gouge Lee Fury & JtB

We have always had to build our own furniture, MDF my friend... its a godsend! Design your units, get down B&Q with the panels worked out and get them to cut as much as possible (blagging keeps it cheap, always aim for the young checkout girl and tell her its one sheet of MDF!). We found carpet tiles to be extremely useful too, we covered all the MDF in this to help reduce reflections. You could try second hand office equipment places, concentrate on the frame of the desk and give it a makeover. I had 8 metal based computer desks away from work for £8, took the tops off and attached them to a new set of worktops. Hope this helps! Good luck and take your time with the design!

:gpeace:

12. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

one more vote for semi DIY job. just get any battered desk from a second hand place or ebay, and take the legs/frame. now make your own top exactly how you want it. b&q can cut timber to size, so if you make the big cuts there, and borrow a hand held timber saw for smaller details. and theres loads of potions for teh final surface, laminate, good quality seal, fabric, etc

it really isnt as daunting as it may seem, and its incredibly rewarding.
    -"sweet desk, where did you got it ?"
    -"i made myself it motherfucker"
    *suave face*

13. Freek

Banging advice guys. that was the main question, didnt no if there was anywhere i could take the design to and theywould cut it. now i no and will get myself down to b&q in the next few weeks. cheers guys

14. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

this face...

[​IMG]

another vote for the DIY camp... i got an electric jigsaw from halfrauds to cut some mdf for an ice install in my motor, piece of piss!

15. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    got a pic of that mate?

16. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

what the install or the saw... well i have niether, sorry!

17. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

:uberlaugh

ya, exactly that!

18. vapour 36 hertz

vapour 36 hertz www.36hertz.com

give my mate sam a shout

he built me a new studio desk from scratch from my spec for a very good price

http://samsteer.com/Office and Studio.htm

thats my studio at the top before and after pics

if your after something custom he is definatly the guy to speak to

19. ilovelondon

ilovelondon Call me Jens.

Buy a desk you think might be turned into what you want, and take this sorta fella to it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  20. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    thats looking sick!