Struggling first time producer

Borzion

I've very recently got into producing dnb, and by that I mean I've watched a few YouTube tutorials. I've been DJing for over a year so I'm familiar with the structure and basics of drum and bass but other than that I haven't had any experience in making music before.
So I'm just wondering what everyone used to help them not only figure out how to use your DAW of choice but how to make music in general? Such as a specific YouTube series or website guide
Ive watched a few masterclass videos on youtube but i feel like without taking a college course in music tech I'm always going to be struggling

I've very recently got into producing dnb, and by that I mean I've watched a few YouTube tutorials. I've been DJing for over a year so I'm familiar with the structure and basics of drum and bass but other than that I haven't had any experience in making music before.
So I'm just wondering what everyone used to help them not only figure out how to use your DAW of choice but how to make music in general? Such as a specific YouTube series or website guide
Ive watched a few masterclass videos on youtube but i feel like without taking a college course in music tech I'm always going to be struggling

Take up knitting, or golf, yea golf would be a great hobby, home brewing is awesome and you get beer!!!!
https://www.mrbeer.com/

^^^^^ get this and you will make a palatable beer within weeks and could spend a lifetime perfecting your recipes.

Producing is a shit hobby, I have been doing this for years and still feel the same way you do, and I still make shit music. Get out now! Get married, have a kid, knit that baby some footies, while drinking the beer you brewed. Then go golfing.

Take up knitting, or golf, yea golf would be a great hobby, home brewing is awesome and you get beer!!!!
https://www.mrbeer.com/

^^^^^ get this and you will make a palatable beer within weeks and could spend a lifetime perfecting your recipes.

Producing is a shit hobby, I have been doing this for years and still feel the same way you do, and I still make shit music. Get out now! Get married, have a kid, knit that baby some footies, while drinking the beer you brewed. Then go golfing.
You have a golf fetish or what? :-/

At first you will feel the terms and technicities overwhelming, but with time and perseverance you'll get used to it. It's pretty much the same with a "real" instrument.

So, keep practicing, keep watching youtube tuts and don't sweat over the stuff you produce now being crap.

Or, on the other hand, you could try golf. :teeth:

At first you will feel the terms and technicities overwhelming, but with time and perseverance you'll get used to it. It's pretty much the same with a "real" instrument.

So, keep practicing, keep watching youtube tuts and don't sweat over the stuff you produce now being crap.

Or, on the other hand, you could try golf. :teeth:

I actually use to play golf and now i just spend all my time producing instead, let me say one thing, golf is fucking hard, it requires much more consistent practice than producing, a bad day in golf is a hell of lot worse than a bad day producing thats for sure haha

but in seriousness watching producer masterclass' from the top guys and other various tutorials combined with your own practice is the right thing to do, these things dont click in the first few weeks, it happens over time, you need to keep trying new things and innovating no matter how complex or simple to learn new things, try making all sorts of different bass' and sounds, you may not have a clue but one day itll just click out of nowhere, its a great feeling. The biggest part about producing is learning your own skills, sure, there are techniques that apply to everyone but no one taught me how to make a certain bass i wanted to make, ive actually personally never seen a bass' tutorial vid that has given a sound that to me is usable for my own production, in terms of techniques like basic things such as simple eq cutting and such are great, I remember watching a friction masterclass where he said to high cut at like 16k because anything above that we cant really hear and it sounds a bit naff on high end systems, that info has been with me ever since

i've also been looking into homebrewing, any recommendations for someone just starting out?

and my relevant post for this thread: answer OPs question: "i'm just wondering what everyone used to help them not only figure out how to use your DAW of choice but how to make music in general?"

Lots of youtube videos, i mean lots. I also spent quite a bit of time digging through the different DAW's websites. I'm sure there are comparative videos out there. It all comes down to what you think would give you the most natural workflow (imo anyways).

The best you can do for the start is to get some sample packs! We have many professionals as users. In case you want to know who they are, here are some tracks by them using our libraries. Why, feel free to read here.

We have also released not long ago Ableton Live Racks for beginning producers showing the essentials of drum'n'bass design in simple steps. Covering how to effect all kind of sounds for different genres of drum'n'bass, such as neuro, tech, jump up, liquid and so on. Also how to create drums from scratch.

The best you can do for the start is to get some sample packs! We have many professionals as users. In case you want to know who they are, here are some tracks by them using our libraries. Why, feel free to read here.

We have also released not long ago Ableton Live Racks for beginning producers showing the essentials of drum'n'bass design in simple steps. Covering how to effect all kind of sounds for different genres of drum'n'bass, such as neuro, tech, jump up, liquid and so on. Also how to create drums from scratch.

How are your home brewing kits and golf shoes?

Also there sample packs are good, and they put out some awesome tutorials over the years

I actually use to play golf and now i just spend all my time producing instead, let me say one thing, golf is fucking hard, it requires much more consistent practice than producing, a bad day in golf is a hell of lot worse than a bad day producing thats for sure haha

but in seriousness watching producer masterclass' from the top guys and other various tutorials combined with your own practice is the right thing to do, these things dont click in the first few weeks, it happens over time, you need to keep trying new things and innovating no matter how complex or simple to learn new things, try making all sorts of different bass' and sounds, you may not have a clue but one day itll just click out of nowhere, its a great feeling. The biggest part about producing is learning your own skills, sure, there are techniques that apply to everyone but no one taught me how to make a certain bass i wanted to make, ive actually personally never seen a bass' tutorial vid that has given a sound that to me is usable for my own production, in terms of techniques like basic things such as simple eq cutting and such are great, I remember watching a friction masterclass where he said to high cut at like 16k because anything above that we cant really hear and it sounds a bit naff on high end systems, that info has been with me ever since

Cheers man it's starting to make quite a bit of sense now and the pay off is seeming so worth it now! Thanks for the inspiring words

In my opinion as a new producer try not to get bogged down whit the complicated shit, its impotent to knock out lots of Ideas and try new things you will learn way more than trying to make the perfect snare for 5 weeks and eventually getting pissed of and giving up.
i personally use youtube for all my tutorials channels i follow include:

Point Blank Music School
ADSR Music Production Tutorials
Abelton Liveschool
Ill Factor Music
Fanu
Reid Stefan (Annoying Puppet but he has some good tips)

there are tons more out there as well just have to look.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom