DnB structure

AM1G0

Hi, private link, 175bpm: http://snd.sc/VJKhC1

any advice on structure is going to be essential for me, as I never know how long drop should be, and how often i should change stuff in normal parts.

+this is still work in progress, and I made it in like ~3 hours, so dont take it seriously, just wanted to show you my poblems with structure :oops:

but shouldnt the part before and after the drop be equal length, or whatever...? what i mean is, when you listen to some of the better artists you can notice that drop is very often at similair time mark, same goes with first part kicking in mostly ~0:55 mark...?

but shouldnt the part before and after the drop be equal length, or whatever...? what i mean is, when you listen to some of the better artists you can notice that drop is very often at similair time mark, same goes with first part kicking in mostly ~0:55 mark...?

I used to think the same way...but in reality, it's totally up to you. I've heard arrangements that are instrumental until the 32 bar mark and they drop...others use the traditional intro > breakdown > drop at 64 bars (~ :45-:50 mark). Honestly, arrange according to the vibe that you're going for with the tune. In other words, do you want a long, percussion free intro that leads to a drop with everything hitting...or maybe an intro with some light breaks/low pass filtering leading to a build? It's really up to you. The key is just to make sure to keep those phrases/changes hitting evenly: 8, 16, 32, 64.

Cheers.

Last edited:
import a tune in ur DAW that u rlly like and get inspiration from, see the structure and just copy it. :D

yeah set the tempo right, so you can count the bars?

but just start counting the bars on the intro of your favourite tunes and you quickly get an idea,

can be anything from 16, 32, 64 bars for an intro. like lost said

that hole multiple of 16 ting is mainly for the djs and mixing... but like they all said - break and the rules and do whatever the helllll u feel like... in the end u shud be the on hu enjoys ur tunes the most

break the rules yes, i often think people make thier tunes unmixable at times so that tune will be heared on its own for a certain amount of time!

I usually do a 32 bar intro drop will be 48 bars with a 16 bar bit that will lead to break down rinse and repeat that's the normal structure I usually follow but I will change It up depending on the song

that hole multiple of 16 ting is mainly for the djs and mixing... but like they all said - break and the rules and do whatever the helllll u feel like... in the end u shud be the on hu enjoys ur tunes the most

Gotta respectfully disagree with you. While the 16 rule is good for DJ's, the reason is that most "pop" music follows a 16 bar structure with regards to verse>chorus>verse>chorus>bridge etc. Since not all EDM contains the "traditional" lead singer for the pop structure, we substitute a new sound or element into the track to change up the energy. DJ's drop a new tune on the 16 because that's when a new element has been introduced into the track. Then at 32 and/or 64 there is a bigger change whether it be a breakdown, build, drop, etc.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Gotta respectfully disagree with you. While the 16 rule is good for DJ's, the reason is that most "pop" music follows a 16 bar structure with regards to verse>chorus>verse>chorus>bridge etc. Since not all EDM contains the "traditional" lead singer for the pop structure, we substitute a new sound or element into the track to change up the energy. DJ's drop a new tune on the 16 because that's when a new element has been introduced into the track. Then at 32 and/or 64 there is a bigger change whether it be a breakdown, build, drop, etc.

Cheers.

i respect your respective disagreement - however what if you were producing IDM, like i said what your producing purely for listening purposes, for example I'm playing (<< being the important word) with a tune structure 8>32>12>12>16>x2 and the rhythm actually flows quite well, and if i were to be the one djing it it wouldnt be that difficult to wack out a rather good ( substitute a new sound or element into the track to change up the energy) set.. ya get me fam

Last edited:
i respect your respective disagreement - however what if you were producing IDM, like i said what your producing purely for listening purposes, for example I'm playing (<< being the important word) with a tune structure 8>32>12>12>16>x2 and the rhythm actually flows quite well, and if i were to be the one djing it it wouldnt be that difficult to wack out a rather good ( substitute a new sound or element into the track to change up the energy) set.. ya get me fam

Ah, I totally see where you're coming from D-Jhepz. You make some very valid points.

Cheers man!

Back
Top Bottom