Stretching an acapella in FL Studio

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
Any help on this subject would be hugely appreciated.

I want to put an acapella over some beats that I made, speeding the acapella up but without changing the pitch of the vocal. I know there is a way to do this in FL Studio but for the love of all things furry cannot remember how.....

......any ideas?

You can do it in the edison editor but I couldn't time stretch it to what BPM I wanted had to do percentage or something so I used Audacity where it allows you to stretch it to the BPM you want, you have to know the BPM of original sample first though.

in the sample channel, in the time stretch section, there is a drop down menu that is set to resample by default

change it to one of the others and it should timestretch when you stretch the sample in the playlist

at least i think so anyway.... i cant check atm, pretty sure it will work though

a great thing I use to get the bpm's right / timestretch is a tool called "fruity slicer".. always does the trick

i find the best way is to stretch it to the right time, then you right click pitch and do reset, it resamples it and puts it back to the right pitch :D

i dont know much about FL studio, but surely theres not many transients in vocals, unless you're dealing with beatboxing or screaming punk. so perhaps is best to take marlztah's advice and experiment with the other algos.

Well I've found out that if you have the original bpm's of the acapella, put it in your track , then instead of choosing pro transient from the drop down list, there is a time dial just to the left. Right click that and choose auto detect, then in the drop list choose pro default. Almost perfect every time!

Like already said, change 'resample' to 'pro transient' in the channel settings.

there are several algorhythms available, you can use any other than resample... im not saying dont experiment with pro transient, but there are algorhythms for vocals so they would obviously be a good starting point. like the name suggests, pro transient will stretch the sample and try to keep the transients in tact, particularly important if stretching drums or percussion... not so important with vocals

theres a piece in the manual describing the timestretch function and each algo....

Stretch Method (drop-down menu) - Selects a sample Time Stretch/Pitch Shift method. Please note that the Sampler Channel implements a simplified version of the 'ZPlane Elastique Pro' algorithms used by the Time Stretch/Pitch Shift Tool. We recommend using Edison if you require maximum control over the Time Stretch/Pitch Shift process. Options in the Sampler Channel include:

* Resample - Standard pitch shifting that varies sample length to change pitch.
* Pro default - The 'Default' mode is designed to work with a wide range of input signals, try the other modes only if 'Default' fails to give the result you need.
* Pro transient - For certain sounds, transients are crucial to the overall result (percussion, for example). This mode attempts to preserve the transients in the input signal.
* Transient - A lower CPU usage transient-preserving stretch method which corresponds to the Elastique time-stretching default mode. It is provided as an alternative to the 'Pro Transient' mode.
* Tonal - Provides higher quality for input signals with a focus on tonal (pitched) elements.
* Monophonic - Specialized for monophonic input signals (such as vocals or solo instruments) and should give the best results for these type of signals. The tonal quality is achieved through formant preservation.
* Speech - Optimized for speech. (For singing, use the 'Monophonic' mode).

* Monophonic - Specialized for monophonic input signals (such as vocals or solo instruments) and should give the best results for these type of signals. The tonal quality is achieved through formant preservation.
* Speech - Optimized for speech. (For singing, use the 'Monophonic' mode).

So choosing one of these will be better... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom