straight tonearm for technics 1210

rob_del_terror

- ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε
VIP Junglist
anyone know of anywhere that sells these? i can find some stuff on the net about em but failed to find anyone selling them?

my mrs snapped one of my tonearms so i figure that if i'm gonna have to take shit apart and replace it then i might do better upgrading em.

yeah spotted these but they seem a bit pricey to be fair. for the difference it makes its not worth it. £50 for a new s shaped one, £70 for a pair of m477 and i've sorted them both. :)

what difference would one note with the straight tone arms?

Excessive needle and groove wear due to a massive tracking error of up to -18% and a loss in sound quality.

Its not a upgrade its a downgrade in every possible sense of what a tone arm is designed to do. The first production tone arm was straight and the s design is the result of years of reaserch.

virtually skip proof. and a rounded stylus prevents the excessive groove wear.

why the fuck would all of the latest turntables use the straight tonearm if they were no good. that last response was fail.

No it wasnt, yours was a fail.

Virtually skip proof? The needle is more stable in the groove when the platter is being spun back and forth when using straight, BUT never skip proof.

Manufacturers design them as a maketable item, funnily enough the widest used tuntable for scratching is a 1210 and funily enough Panasonic never made such a items for my stated reasons...

There is some confusion going on in this thread. Not all straight tonearms are created equal.

The straight tonearms on Vestax, Stanton, Numark etc are underhung. This means that they don't reach as far as the spindle. They are designed to improve tracking at the expense of sound quality and record wear. Like D Double U said, these tonearms are a downgrade, imo.

The straight tonearms I posted (Rega) are overhung. They are designed for hifi quality and are superior to the standard Technics arm. You can pay thousands for a Rega, Thorens etc straight arm.

There is some confusion going on in this thread. Not all straight tonearms are created equal.

The straight tonearms on Vestax, Stanton, Numark etc are underhung. This means that they don't reach as far as the spindle. They are designed to improve tracking at the expense of sound quality and record wear. Like D Double U said, these tonearms are a downgrade, imo.

The straight tonearms I posted (Rega) are overhung. They are designed for hifi quality and are superior to the standard Technics arm. You can pay thousands for a Rega, Thorens etc straight arm.

Repp'd

Back
Top Bottom