Straight or S shaped tone arms?

Matt_47

VIP Junglist
So I recently got a pair of used Numark TT500s which have interchangable tone arms.. At the moment i'm using straight ones just because thats what they were set up with when i bought them. Is it better/easier to mix with s shaped ones or straight ones? What's the difference?

Cheers

wont make any difference for mixing, the straight arms are meant to have better skip resistance. I had a numark ttx for a while but couldn't notice any difference at all between the two arms

SLow

Quadrospazzed life-glug
VIP Junglist
Straight for scratching

S for sound quality

But the difference is so marginal it doesn't really matter.

Saint

Buried Audio
VIP Junglist
Only been on straight arm decks once but im pretty sure its easier to rewind and move the vinyl about with s shaped. Got a bit more space over the vinyl.

Teddy

60%
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Straight arms can have greater tracking force than S-shaped tonearms, which is great for scratching. S-shaped tonearms are shaped such a way for a reason. The s-shape that gives the tonearm its name is angled so that the needle will fit in the record grooves at a better angle consistently. Straight tonearms also tend to wear out your vinyl somewhat faster than s-shaped tonarms (assuming all else is equal). The straight tonearm is not necessarily inferior. It's not like the s-shaped tonearms exist solely because of their nostalgic value.

Fortune^

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
VIP Junglist
Straight arms can have greater tracking force than S-shaped tonearms, which is great for scratching. S-shaped tonearms are shaped such a way for a reason. The s-shape that gives the tonearm its name is angled so that the needle will fit in the record grooves at a better angle consistently. Straight tonearms also tend to wear out your vinyl somewhat faster than s-shaped tonarms (assuming all else is equal). The straight tonearm is not necessarily inferior. It's not like the s-shaped tonearms exist solely because of their nostalgic value.
all true. if you have an s-shaped tone arm and want to scratch you can just change the angle of the cart on your headshell.