STR8150s and other turntable recomendations

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
Looking to get myself a new vinyl setup, STR8150's are my first choice at the moment, combined with shure whitelabels and a Xone62, still got some more to check out, anything I should look at?

I'm not going down the technics route, I need something that will be under warranty and fancy trying something diffrent, but without missing out on the quality and reliability

Also, read lots of opinions on the diffrences between S and Straight Arms, anyone got any good knowledge of this? I've read that Straights do a little less damage to the records (probably insignificant), I dont scratch, just straight up mixing, but do like my acetates so anything which will put less pressure on them will be good!

setup will be strictly in studio

Looking to get myself a new vinyl setup, STR8150's are my first choice at the moment, combined with shure whitelabels and a Xone62, still got some more to check out, anything I should look at?

I'm not going down the technics route, I need something that will be under warranty and fancy trying something diffrent, but without missing out on the quality and reliability

Also, read lots of opinions on the diffrences between S and Straight Arms, anyone got any good knowledge of this? I've read that Straights do a little less damage to the records (probably insignificant), I dont scratch, just straight up mixing, but do like my acetates so anything which will put less pressure on them will be good!

setup will be strictly in studio

warranty...you know how simple turntables are right?

Either way I think longer tone arms to an extent are better as it means the needle will be much less temperamental, which means S or other bent tone arms are probably a better option. Although that might just be to do with the weight of the arm...

and get technics you dont need a warranty with them, buy a pair dirt cheap and replace the pitches on them and they will be better than anything i can think of

Last edited:
warranty...you know how simple turntables are right?

Either way I think longer tone arms to an extent are better as it means the needle will be much less temperamental, which means S or other bent tone arms are probably a better option. Although that might just be to do with the weight of the arm...

and get technics you dont need a warranty with them, buy a pair dirt cheap and replace the pitches on them and they will be better than anything i can think of

what do you mean by S arms making the needle less temperamental? in what way?

The weight of the arm shouldnt be an issue if its properly balanced?

I was under the impression that straight tone arms mean that the needle isnt sat in the groove as well as with s arms so you get slight phase issues (I doubt they are audible though to be fair...). To be honest this is just what ive remembered reading so might not hold weight with all things considered

I was under the impression that straight tone arms mean that the needle isnt sat in the groove as well as with s arms so you get slight phase issues (I doubt they are audible though to be fair...). To be honest this is just what ive remembered reading so might not hold weight with all things considered

Hmm gona look into this more thanks, can see how that might be true

Back
Top Bottom