STOP THE WAR ON GENRE BASHING!!

theone

Just say no to dubstep!
VIP Junglist
Im getting sick of seeing constant knocking of genres of dnb. At the moment it is jump up which is always getting caned. I think its ridiculous that people are so quick and narrow minded to say an entire genre is shit.
I can understand that maybe the quality has changed recently. It can be seen that jump up is not diverse as it once was. But isn't that because we have more sub genres than ever before?
I think its narrow minded to say that jump up is completely shit now. To say that means you are saying all the jump up in the past is shit. Is Roni Size shit?

In my opinion all these sub genres are only useful when buying records and even then I think they can have a negative effect. Surely if its a good tune it doesnt matter what style of dnb it is. Do you think artists and producers think "I am only going to make jump up or liquid tunes from now on". I doubt it. I reackon it comes down to whether they think its a good tune or not regardless of style.

I think there are only two genres, jungle and drum and bass. Long live both of em.

Im getting sick of seeing constant knocking of genres of dnb. At the moment it is jump up which is always getting caned. I think its ridiculous that people are so quick and narrow minded to say an entire genre is shit.
I can understand that maybe the quality has changed recently. It can be seen that jump up is not diverse as it once was. But isn't that because we have more sub genres than ever before?
I think its narrow minded to say that jump up is completely shit now. To say that means you are saying all the jump up in the past is shit. Is Roni Size shit?

In my opinion all these sub genres are only useful when buying records and even then I think they can have a negative effect. Surely if its a good tune it doesnt matter what style of dnb it is. Do you think artists and producers think "I am only going to make jump up or liquid tunes from now on". I doubt it. I reackon it comes down to whether they think its a good tune or not regardless of style.

I think there are only two genres, jungle and drum and bass. Long live both of em.

:word:

I love it all so i am exempt...

I know this is beyond some people but I listen to what I like and avoid the stuff that I don't like. It's a really difficult concept to understand or so it would seem

:word:

Every thread seems to end up turning into a jump up hating thread.
I just listen to what I like, and that happens to be most things.

(y)

It's all good putting a thread like this up, and trying to stop people from "genre bashing", but I bet you now, there aint one head on here that's going to admit to it...

This thread is going to be 4 to 5 pages of "I never said I hated jump up, I actually quite like some of the tunes", sorry to put the downer, but it will.

My two cents,
Im a jump up head, I play mostly jump up tunes, but I also like other sub genres of dnb.

There is alot of genre bashing an I'll admit I kind of state my haterid for jump up in nearly every thread, an maybe its not needed, but this is a forum, an its somewhere to debate, and state your opinion so it's allways going to happen, I have to put up with the constant Machete, Machete VIP, fuckin Hazard badman, Jump up rules threads so you will just have to put up with people complaining about subgenres, if you dont like dont go in the threads... Simple, as an I will from now on take my own advise an stay out of anythread regarding hazard or jump up, unless of course hazard pulls his finger out an sorts his tunes out an so do the rest of todays jump up artists, or unless its a hating thread in which case you lot stay out...

Rant over

Fucking nailed it in one, well said.

As i said previously in another thread
http://dnbforum.com/showpost.php?p=383319&postcount=31

Last edited:
I play what I feel so it builds in my set and keeps it interesting. Also gives me more choice depending on the croud.
Subgenre names are only useful to describe dnb on the internet and in record shops imo. There should be no solid 'barriers'.

What I don't understand is that 99% of the hate is at jump up...why is this?

You could say that the producers don't innovate enough, boring, casio bleeps etc. but every subgenre of D&B has bad eggs in, I think it's people just need to get out raving more and realise what it's about...

loldog.jpg

What I don't understand is that 99% of the hate is at jump up...why is this?

You could say that the producers don't innovate enough, boring, casio bleeps etc. but every subgenre of D&B has bad eggs in, I think it's people just need to get out raving more and realise what it's about...

Well anyone in this thread will probly say because everyone is jumping on the jump up hating bandwagon... But if you ask me the answer is simple an fairly obvious...

I'm not on the bandwagon, i love it, i love all styles.......just hate all the shit names/genre's.

First of all - 'stop the war on genre bashing' means supporting genre bashing.

Second of all - jungle = drum and bass

Third of all - drum and bass genre terms mostly suck.

Fourthly - "I think its narrow minded to say that jump up is completely shit now. To say that means you are saying all the jump up in the past is shit." - those two sentences contain a logical fallacy. If I say that jump up is shit now, I am not saying that jump up was shit in the past. I have added a chronological qualification to my statement.

Fifthly - most producers stick to their genres. Hazard doesn't produce liquid dnb, Noisia don't produce jump-up etc etc (there are exceptions as always). There a few that either ignore genres and formulas (High Contrast) but most producers work and producer in their rut. If you think otherwise, you're ignoring all the evidence - including the fact that sub-labels with specific signed artists produce in specific styles.

First of all - 'stop the war on genre bashing' means supporting genre bashing.

Second of all - jungle = drum and bass

Third of all - drum and bass genre terms mostly suck.

First doesn't make sense, second is just wrong and third, they are very useful but just not on the internet. Other two statements are just too complex for me to comprehend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom