STOP MY WARP. PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by IbbyDnB, Jun 25, 2010.

1. IbbyDnB

IbbyDnB Member

Hey, am kinda new hear, and ive oni been mixin for about 6 months, but ive notcied alot of my vinyls are becoming warped, and theres plenty of them that arent mine, so im kinda worryed. i keep them in toy boxes stood on the edege as every ones records ive seen are like that, but i can understand why mine are warping, they are nxt to and outside wall, but it dosnt really get too hot so i cant see that beeing the problem, so any suggestions on were and how to store my vinyl to prevent them from warping more and future records warping,

Cheers Ibby.

2. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

try stacking them another way mate

3. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

stack em the other way, keep em out the sun thats all i can say

4. Do0Bs

Do0Bs Fo Shizzle Dizzle

Stack em as vertical as possible and keep out of the sun

5. IbbyDnB

IbbyDnB Member

you meen on another side? coz i stack the the same as everyone else ive seen?

6. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

taken from here and edited slightly http://www.vinyl-record-storage.com/?p=11

So you’re already doing your part, right? You’ve got a sick collection of vinyl. But are you treating it with the tender love and care that it deserves? Let’s face it man, you’re sitting on a chunk of dnb history. They’re not making anymore bad company Albums. You’ve got responsibilities my friend. Vinyl record storage is no laughing matter.

So for starters, if your record collection is sitting out in the garage stacked up behind that weight bench you stopped using two years ago, send me your address. I’ll come and rescue it. If you want to keep them fine, but it’s time to start getting serious about your vinyl record storage.

I know you want to keep your LPs around for a long time. It would also be great if when you play the records they sound great. Vinyl is sensitive. Maybe not as much as your girlfried is about her weight, but pretty close. To store your vinyl records properly, consider the storage environment. Store them indoors away from extreme temperatures or dust and dirt. Sure, it’s a Captain Obvious statement but it must be said.

Something that’s not so obvious is orientation. Records should never be stacked in a pile. They must always be stored vertically. Stacking albums on top of each other creates an uneven distribution of weight that results in warping. Warping is bad. You will never convince any digital media knucklehead of the purity and sanctity of vinyl recordings with a warped record. Warping must be avoided at all costs. It’s just not cool.

I’m not judging, but if you’re a smoker – do your best to keep your vinyl out of the smoke zone. Smoke adheres to the jacket, makes the albums smell and devalues your collection. Grease from cooking is another danger area. Keep the albums away from the Fry-Daddy. Nothing good can come of it.

Humidity – the archenemy of vinyl. Never store your records in damp, dark places. Dude with the record collection stored under the leaky the pipe in the basement…I’m looking in your direction. Humidity leads to mildew which leads to moldy albums that smell like crap and sound worse. Clean and dry. That’s the way to go.

I’m going to say this again because it bears repeating…do not ever, under any circumstances and under penalty of being a total douche bag – store your records on top of each other. If you do, stevie hypder d will rise from the grave and cause you to choke on your own vomit.

So by now you’ve rushed into your garage, rescued the stack of albums and placed them in a climate controlled environment in a completely vertical position. Excellent work. Now it’s time to go from being a humane owner of vinyl LPs, to a true vinyl record storage expert.

Replace the original manufacturer’s plastic shrinkwrap with high density polyethylene protective sleeves. While many collectors view the shrinkwrap as a plus when purchasing for their collection, in truth the shrinkwrap “shrinks” over time and could result in the dreaded warping.

The inner sleeve should also be replaced with a mylar or polyetylene lined sleeve. Believe it or not, the original paper sleeves create scratches every time the album is removed and returned. Keep it with the album of course. It’s all part of the history of vinyl, but protect the record itself with an “acid free” sleeve.

7. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

You stacking them like this?
    [​IMG]

All I could suggest as the other guys said is to keep them well out the sun, away from radiators etc and stacked like above. If you still have problems im not really sure what to suggest.
    Hope that helps.

8. Subjekt Music

Subjekt Music Well-Known Member

9. Usuckaaaaa

Usuckaaaaa New Member

This is what i have done with some warped break records i got... i use to work in a glass shop, i got one inch thick piece of glass and another quarter inch thick... both 12'' long n wide. waited til summer time, and put the record between the pieces of glass with the inch thick one being on top. i let it sit outside for 10 15 min.. let the record get a little heated. bring the bad boy inside but keep it inbetween the pieces of glass. place something heavy on it, but not too heavy to break the glass. let the record cool down... and bam that bad boy is flat! if it doesn't work, repeat but bring inside and re-warp the record with your hands... this has worked for me. i do keep my records in crates so i haven't had the problem again...