Steve Angello defends DJ mime act

Demshy

http://www.mixmag.net/2011/08/09/steve-angello-defends-dj-mime-act/

Steve Angello has made a statement defending his DJ style after a video of him miming during a performing at the Dance Valley festival appeared on Youtube.

The video, which lasts for just over 13 minutes, shows Angello DJing without headphones or much interest in the mixer, apart from a few well timed adjustments to the EQ. He doesn’t appear to be doing much in the way of selecting records and looks to be miming his performance over the top of a pre-mixed CD.

Angello has justified his act via a statement on Twitter, saying that he pre-mixes the end of his sets so his lighting and effects team can co-ordinate a suitable visual finale.

Angello said: “When I do some festivals I have a team there that does all my pyro, fx and co2´s and most of them have a synced “fireworks show” that is synced to the music so nothing goes wrong for the fireworks show since timing everything is extremely hard for them, so I have a medley mix I close with so they can have everything synced, most big festivals have that and it’s nothing new, as soon as your closing under a big finale you have that going on.. Does that explain it?”

He also went on to say that he spends more time mixing than with his daughter and insinuates that pretending to DJ is standard industry practise.

While some Youtube users have been sticking up for Angello, many more have been angered by his mime act. Instead of picking tunes, he seems to be more concerned with keeping his hair slick and having a smoke. However, Angello maintains that the above footage was from the end of his set at Dance Valley and that his mixing skills are up there with the best of them.

Shit like this really pisses me off. Bet he got paid thousands to just press play on a CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand how that would help, but still: quality mixing skills > bunch of flashy, over-the-top visuals

what a load of BOLLOX. Chemical Brothers have the most fuking amazing light, laser and pyro shows going on...while they perform live, fully syncronized DMX shit, if this tit cant manage to put 2 tracks on at the same time, then mayb he shuld just fuk off and get a job at tescos

edit: lol @ my bad mood

loser, there are heads out there who are 100 times what he is on the decks, and would play a better of a set fully mixed for a fraction of the price, big up ya self mate, u have prob lost alot of respect from your fans who actually know the fine art of mixing, dick ed.

Angello said: “When I do some festivals I have a team there that does all my pyro, fx and co2´s and most of them have a synced “fireworks show” that is synced to the music so nothing goes wrong for the fireworks show since timing everything is extremely hard for them, so I have a medley mix I close with so they can have everything synced, most big festivals have that and it’s nothing new, as soon as your closing under a big finale you have that going on.. Does that explain it?”

The fx team must be pretty poor if they cant cope with a slight difference in bpm. All modern lighting and fx set ups can be controlled via well specced software or a hardware mixer and if he has a 'team' why cant they learn the tunes he'll be playing?

Back
Top Bottom