Stereo or Mono

I spend a lot more time listening on headphones, followed by speakers at home or in the car. So I vote for stereo.

Most people making D&B for the rave, why bother producing in stereo ?

:twitchy:

Ideally Bass (100hz and below), Main KDs, and SDs should be centered.

There are no rules when it comes to everything else.
Honestly though, I don't understand why you'd even ask such a question... the idea of making something entirely in Mono sounds :gimp:

Because, a stereo mix that has been done with mono compatability in mind will sound the same (or very much the same, depending on the mix) when played in mono, whereas a Mono mix can never be stereo.

Don't get me wrong i understand about stereo and its benefits, with nearly 15 years 'experience' of being more than a 'just' a listener (playing instruments and amateur engineering/producing). But honestly I been struggling to 'hear' the audio space stereo gives when in a club or a rave - either the system isn't good enough due to positioning of cabs vs me, or i've not been listening for it. So having been listening to some of the productions on here this week, and some of the effects of filters in ableton, come to the conclusion that for the time/effort getting the stereo effect in place, are producers wasting their time ? (devils advocate!!)

I see what you mean, but you've got to look past it just being played in clubs etc, fair enough you might not be able to hear the difference in that one situation, as long as a stereo mix works in mono then you've got the best of both worlds, so theres no point in making it just in mono.

Stereo for me.
I love panning different sounds and automating the panning.
You can make a tune sound 10x more interesting if it has decent panning.
I wanna get into 5.1 surround sound.

pretty much all club systems are mono.. but your just restricting yourself if you do ur mixdown in mono. why not do it in stereo and make sure the tune converts well into mono with no phase cancellation. so people in all walks of life can hear your stereo goodness, ipod, car, television ...

I see what you mean, but you've got to look past it just being played in clubs etc, fair enough you might not be able to hear the difference in that one situation, as long as a stereo mix works in mono then you've got the best of both worlds, so theres no point in making it just in mono.

Agreed

As long as your (100hz and below) sounds are centered, the mix should work well on any sound setup where the Subs are setup for Mono.

For full impact, Bass should hit in the center... but that doesn't mean there's no room for experimentation. Honestly though, in the 10 years I've been making music, I've only once panned the Bass (100hz and below) and it sounds narly in headphones, but crap in anything else.

pretty much all club systems are mono.. but your just restricting yourself if you do ur mixdown in mono. why not do it in stereo and make sure the tune converts well into mono with no phase cancellation. so people in all walks of life can hear your stereo goodness, ipod, car, television ...

ditto

Don't get me wrong i understand about stereo and its benefits, with nearly 15 years 'experience' of being more than a 'just' a listener (playing instruments and amateur engineering/producing). But honestly I been struggling to 'hear' the audio space stereo gives when in a club or a rave - either the system isn't good enough due to positioning of cabs vs me, or i've not been listening for it. So having been listening to some of the productions on here this week, and some of the effects of filters in ableton, come to the conclusion that for the time/effort getting the stereo effect in place, are producers wasting their time ? (devils advocate!!)

It's probably the venues... or the music you're listening to at said venues doesn't have much panning in it.. dunno.

I think not... just like Hooka said, you want to be able to enjoy your music in all kinds of systems and that doesn't mean you've got to make boring/safe mono mixes.

i for one have never been in a club with a mono system.
well as a sound guy anyway.

really! are these clubs in the uk or london because i swear there all mono !!

surely in most clubs there's more than two speaker placements and even if there is only two speaker placements the listener would still have to stand in the middle to hear a balanced mixdown. i thought clubs were mono so the listener could be anywhere in the club and still hear the full mix.

although if i produced in mono.... id only need one monitor, saving myself 50%!!

but no, mono is still gay, unless your deaf in one ear and then it dont really matter

ive set up many systems with only one amplifier, one channel for PA, one for monitors.. it sucks, but it does happen in smaller venues. but i really doubt that happens with bigger rigs.

i thought clubs were mono so the listener could be anywhere in the club and still hear the full mix.
no. stereo placement in club music is rarely hard panned, and even when it happens, its only high frequencies that are panned. so in any case, wherever you sit in the club, you will feel the beat the same.

Back
Top Bottom