Stereo Imaging Hi-Hats?

JoErOe

Workin on a new track atm, and i was just wondering if anyone has any tips for widening my hats in the stereo field.I.E. should they be spread way far out or near the middle. Plus while were at it, any thoughts on the volume of the hats in comparison to the rest of the drums. Like same or maybe slightly lower since they are on the higher end of the freq. spectrum?

Your should probably keep your hats closer to mono, especially since a lot of hat samples are naturally a bit wide. In the stereo field hats can be panned where ever you see fit (and can be autopanned nicely), and depending on the style of break, leveled between 20 and 5 db below the snare.

The main deal with hihats is using EQ, to get them to slip in nicely with out muddying up the break. A shallow hicut at 700 does the job, and sorting out the high end is really important.

I like to make my drums as close as possible to a real drumkit. So, I listen closely to some bands I like, and pay attention where the hats and cymbals are located inside the stereo field, and try to emulate.

Back
Top Bottom