Stealing samples is it right or wrong?

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
Octane Dlr's status was ' stole a kick from noisia, snare from alix perez, atmos from someone, bass from phace, is it purely theft or creative genious'

I think its fine as long as you change it abit no ones rele going to notice and i think all producers steal samples to some degree.

Xtrah recently got caught out for stealing a sample of octane dlr which is pretty funny its never ending

i reckon its fine. They all go in to make different pieces of music, and if they didnt, than the tune would get no recognition. You dont hear mozart kicking off at bach because he used the same violin chords

I've sampled alot of drum samples from tunes... never bass or pads or whatever, and I always layer em up.

sounds like they are joking, the thing is when you are that kinda of talent is doesnt matter where you get samples because you use them in your own style, when somebody who isnt very experienced in production starts using samples they dont know how to cover their tracks and it sounds obvious!!

it isnt really theft,its just gay and noob,there difference between sampling from funk records old as your grandfather and sampling noisia witch are wordl wide cutting edge in procesing perfection,

I would never sample like that,not only its gay it means your your skill less lazy noob,dont sample noisia,work hard and be better than noisia

If it sounds good then go for it. Just make them your own though.

Everyone samples and its just part of it. Just think of guys like RJD2, vaetxh and squeakylobster. Would they be around if sampling didn't exist? Oh and not to mention 90% of hiphop :lol:

it isnt really theft,its just gay and noob,there difference between sampling from funk records old as your grandfather and sampling noisia witch are wordl wide cutting edge in procesing perfection,

I would never sample like that,not only its gay it means your your skill less lazy noob,dont sample noisia,work hard and be better than noisia

Other than the gay noob bashing, I'm in agreement with this.

Cut and pasting with no post processing or layering is fucking lazy, but like said if you change it up so its unrecognisable then who really gives a shit :teeth:

This whole genre was created by sampling. House and Techno tunes rinse the shit out of the TR303 and 808 and still manage to sound fresh, so drum & bass is still far away from sounding the same cause everyone in this genre pulls their samples from all over the place (apart from a couple of breaks)

...drum & bass is still far away from sounding the same cause everyone in this genre pulls their samples from all over the place (apart from a couple of breaks)

I would definitely agree that it's diverged a lot, especially after everyone realised that there is more to making drum and bass than sampling and slicing the Amen Break. When I'm in a rut musically I listen to Phace, Spor and Noisia as their drums (samples, processing and programming) are a real breath of fresh air as they help to generate a unique sound for these acts.

I like sampling records, but often only for small things like vocal stabs or a chord. In particular I have a love for Rhodes electric pianos and haven't found a decent way of producing the instrument in VSTs, so I do sample performances and layer effects on top. With drums, I have learned (after reading these forums) to layer drum to create more interesting sounds rather than sampling something else.

i thought the rule of thumb was...THERE ARE NO RULES
i saw that status...but that was on twitter and it was jokingly aimed at Emporor
but i mean, if you are making beats for fun theres no problem...unless u are trying to be the next Aphex Twin or something

yeah if you can do a dope tune with some 2nd gen sampled beats from other dnb tunes its a dope tune, but you know what i like to do when ive done a bit with some drums sampled from optical or someone, i always try and replace it with something that sounds similar and then steroid that up to par

but sometimes a sampled break makes the tune, the bass is wack, the melodies, the atmos the themes everything but the break is so sick youre like damn that tune is sick, you really improved. in those cases i think its gay.

I think this has become a philosophical question. One based on the artist opinion. I used to think that you should only have samples you made your self. From recording the snare, to the processed finished product. I disagree with that now. I think you should do what you have to, to get the right drums. If you use a whole loop from noisia unprocessed go for it. But make sure you give credit where credit is due. If you need to build your own microphone to record the drum loop you played on the drum set you built. Then process that loop with soft ware you programmmed you are bad ass. So I say find your level of comfort and make music. Complexity comes with time. So does making your own drums sound kick ass.
My conclusion is who is right? who is wrong ? who the fuck knows?

Back
Top Bottom