Stealing Mixes (unintentionally)

Olllie

Bom Bom Cloud
VIP Junglist
I keep thinking i've discovered really good mixes and then realising they've already been done and we're just stored in my memory from mixes i've heard in the past.

For example just now I was playing Bear Music, and Music Club popped into my head so I mixed it in and it sounded perfect. Then about 10 minutes later I realised i'd just remembered it from London Elektricitys essential mix.

Same thing happened with Chase & Status - Judgement and System - Near Miss(see if you remember who's done this mix), i've used this in parts of my sets for weeks thinking it was my own creaton and just found out who did it first.

Anyone else have this problem?

This is inevitably gunna happen a lot so your just have to plod on and forget about it, unless your whole is other mixes heard before lol.

tunes are there to be mixed mate fuck it

Yeah I know.. I still enjoy doing the mixes, it's just a bit annoying when I think i'm a genius and then realise I heard someone else do it.

Does work the other way round sometimes though... ever hear a big DJ do a mix you've done first?

Its happened to me often playing old skool

I tend to make my sets up as i go along, reacting to the crowd and how the set is making me feel

So i'll get a urge to mix a certain track next. But then after i might realise ive copied a mix from a compilation or live set which ive played alot.

I keep thinking i've discovered really good mixes and then realising they've already been done and we're just stored in my memory from mixes i've heard in the past.

For example just now I was playing Bear Music, and Music Club popped into my head so I mixed it in and it sounded perfect. Then about 10 minutes later I realised i'd just remembered it from London Elektricitys essential mix.

Same thing happened with Chase & Status - Judgement and System - Near Miss(see if you remember who's done this mix), i've used this in parts of my sets for weeks thinking it was my own creaton and just found out who did it first.

Anyone else have this problem?

This.
I thought i was a fuckin genius before i realised Andy already merked it

Yeah I know.. I still enjoy doing the mixes, it's just a bit annoying when I think i'm a genius and then realise I heard someone else do it.

Does work the other way round sometimes though... ever hear a big DJ do a mix you've done first?

just found out andy has been doing heavyweight/stigma which i'd been doing for a month or so

i remember bk in the day i was smashin voodoo people and duppyman (pretty cheese i know but i hadnt bin mixin long)
and about a month later a heard chase and status do it

Got my copy of heavyweight, straight away i mix in im free-alix perez thinkin im the next andy c... just to find out that friction had done it at the previous shogun...

Got my copy of heavyweight, straight away i mix in im free-alix perez thinkin im the next andy c... just to find out that friction had done it at the previous shogun...

I heard about this.
However i am still going to replicate this for my personal hearing pleasure, when i get the oppertunity.

Yup this has happend to me. Smash TV with Diplodcus. Was busting this out for a while and then heard Friction do it a month or so later. Had a few people come up to me tho and say "That's YOUR mix init!!"

LOL

Sometimes a mix enters your subconscious without you really knowing it (say there is a mix CD playing in the background but you aren't paying attention to it). Then somewhere down the line you suddenly have an idea for a great mix! Then somewhere down the line again you hear a big name DJ do it and you think he/she has just done your mix, when it was actually their mix you remembered subconsciously.

This has happened to me a couple times.

Post them in "favorite double drops" to copywrite them..

On a serious note, fuck it who cares? Unless its like some signature mix mayhem...

I don't think it really matters, as long as it's not someones signature mix that you're claiming as your own.

If it sounds good then let it roll. I don't think the big names are gonna get hissy for it, and the crowd will most liekly enjoy the fact you can pull off a mix that a big name may have done before.

Back
Top Bottom