stealing drums

pitts

VIP Junglist
a house producer im mates with told me when i played him one of my tracks to steal drum hits from intros where you can

is this what other producers do or is this wrong?

its alright you can do it as much as you like if you feel it helps. i found it never sounds the same as in the track you sampled from anyway. my mate sampled a snare from stakka & skynets decoy and he was like 'hey buddy man dude stakka and skynet got the weakest snares dude mayne, i sampled one and put it in my track and it wasnt powerful at alllll dude mayne dawg buddy homy boyed doy stoagie trip to trumpton. that dude is a jack ass this you may be certain of.

What's right and wrong is not usually clearly defined. The best thing is to see how you would feel if someone ripped off your work. Would you mind if you spent ages tweaking some drums on the intro of one of your tracks, only to hear the exact same thing in someone elses 'original' tune? If you think that's ok, then go right ahead. If you'd be pissed off, then respect the work put in by someone else and don't rip them off.

Its called sampling and everyone does it at some point. As long as you are sampling hits and not entire loops.
If you watch any of the CM videos these guys admit to grabbing kick and snare hits from everywhere and anywhere.
Besides that pretty much what the sample business is based on.
I sample drums, keylines, vox, atmospheres, lines from movies - then stick em in your own sampler and adjust to suit.

so i guess the general idea is that it is frowned upon but producers do, do it.

i suppose if you only did that you wouldnt be improving your skills and if i had spent ages getting a specific drum hit perfect i would be pissed off if someone then used it so dont think i will be taking that advice.

thanks

so anyone who has used one of those classic amen breaks and chopped to suit... it is exactly the same thing!

sampling ftw

say you grab a snare from another tune, now if you use only that snare and dont change it in someway shape or form than your just weaksauce. Now say you sample a snare strip it down and layer it to make your own snare thats different. If your gonna sample just make the sounds you sample your own. Drum and Bass was built off of sampling, But it is alot more rewarding to make your own sounds.

its not exactly the same thing though rich, amen is not from a dnb record, so what were discussing here is 2nd generation sampling, a whole different thing.
i agree with you though, sample whatever you please, if it makes you feel good. sound good i mean.

I heard Indivision stole Culture Shock's drums.

Awaits angry drunken Indivision post. :teeth:

innovine are you telling me you have never ever sampled anything before??
or used a sample pack?? - (its still technically "ripping off someone elses work")

I wonder how old something has to be before you feel no guilt sampling it? Or does it just have to be in a different genre?

I have a cinematic orchestra sample from a few years back that sounds awesome over any swing beat and that wouldn't bother me, but chopping a snare from noisia would make me feel like I was 10 years old peeping through the keyhole watching my parents shagging going hell yeah I am sexy time boy.

no its not. a sample pack is not the same as sampling someones tune. i do both. or neither, it depends what im on that day but its not the same thing.

not sure if serious but most sample packs claim they record their own sounds but 90% of the samples are usually cuts.

i wouldnt know about that but a sample pack is a collection of samples compiled for music makers to use when making music. thats the purpose of a sample pack hence the name. someones song is not a sample pack, there is a clear distinction there.

Back
Top Bottom