State - The Red Turn (finished)

Really cool track man, loved the vocal build ups. It all seemed quite well timed too, you didn't allow anything to get stale; musically everything works really well. Great track. (wouldn't want to say much about mix or production as I don't know enough about it)

Been busy eh?

Vocals are tight. Everything seems to 'sit' nicely together, although I did find the mix lacking in a bit of 'sparkle' at the tope end (boost around 6-8khz..)
Bass is nicely controlled.
Basically a great little roller.
Nice work!

Just on the headphones so can't comment on mixing but agree that it seemed to lack a bit of 'sparkle'. The very nice bass did slightly dominate...shit, I'm commenting on the mixing.
Lots of good bits, all in the right places. Loved the arrangement. Very nice track.
Like it a lot.

Been busy eh?

Vocals are tight. Everything seems to 'sit' nicely together, although I did find the mix lacking in a bit of 'sparkle' at the tope end (boost around 6-8khz..)
Bass is nicely controlled.
Basically a great little roller.
Nice work!

yeah i was a bit worried that it would be certain ear death at high volumes so i cut a bit of high freaquency off the mix... ill look into that. cheers for the feed chromey.

Just on the headphones so can't comment on mixing but agree that it seemed to lack a bit of 'sparkle'. The very nice bass did slightly dominate...shit, I'm commenting on the mixing.
Lots of good bits, all in the right places. Loved the arrangement. Very nice track.
Like it a lot.

Thanks for the words, hmmm this top end sounds like it needs sorting. I cut some highs with my EQ and used a multiband compressor to shape the top, looks like ive shaved too much off. lol

yes, more sparkle -- I'll listen on monitors tonight if I getta chance -- big tune as always though

yeh listening on HR824s it needs some sparkle for sure, not sure on the comment about 8K, just undo whatever you did a little with the multiband.

switching your mix to mono loses a lot of the sheen and some of the mid-bass, maybe tighten your image up on the percussive elements.

your snare and kick don't quite cut through the mix enough for my taste, but that's just taste maybe?

kicks get a little louder during the bridge, but sounds more by design than a problem with the mixdown.

perceived loudness definitely isn't up in the release range, but the mixdown is clean so you could always leave that up to the pros

turn the volume on your mix waaay down, and notice the drum track is a bit quieter than the rest of the tune, especially the surface noise you have way outside the mix. maybe a really transparent limiter (or opto compressor) would make your mix sound more cohesive. ...and won't piss off the mastering engineer

Last edited:
yes, more sparkle -- I'll listen on monitors tonight if I getta chance -- big tune as always though

yeh listening on HR824s it needs some sparkle for sure, not sure on the comment about 8K, just undo whatever you did a little with the multiband.

switching your mix to mono loses a lot of the sheen and some of the mid-bass, maybe tighten your image up on the percussive elements.

your snare and kick don't quite cut through the mix enough for my taste, but that's just taste maybe?

kicks get a little louder during the bridge, but sounds more by design than a problem with the mixdown.

perceived loudness definitely isn't up in the release range, but the mixdown is clean so you could always leave that up to the pros

turn the volume on your mix waaay down, and notice the drum track is a bit quieter than the rest of the tune, especially the surface noise you have way outside the mix. maybe a really transparent limiter (or opto compressor) would make your mix sound more cohesive. ...and won't piss off the mastering engineer

Yeah if you could have a check on the monitors please, cheers. Im gonna re-study this mix now and see what i can do. Thanks again!

ez mate, quality production, i love dat bassline, vocals are crisp, like the trumpet sample u got there to. and that breakdown at about 2:07 works fuckin brilliantly. Nicely done m8

as the others have said mate. real nice tune. Sounds very professional. Not sure about some of the trumpet like sounds that come in and stop suddenly at 1.40 . maybe give them some delay or reverb to keep them smooth in the mix. My only crit really mate. wicked vocals.
respect

drums sound very good mate. really good drop too. come on leaps n bounds dude. nothing else to say just great production

as the others have said mate. real nice tune. Sounds very professional. Not sure about some of the trumpet like sounds that come in and stop suddenly at 1.40 . maybe give them some delay or reverb to keep them smooth in the mix. My only crit really mate. wicked vocals.
respect

Im gonna have a little overhaul tommorrow anyway, i spose i could do something more interesting with the trumpet thing.. just to make things more subtle, thanks bud.

Oh, by the way i can get your trip hop tune out of my head... its fucking hypnotic man!

still feeln the shit out of this tune..
its hard to narrow down the best..

but then you've got all bangers..
face of stone
work in progress
folded expression
Vanilla
WIP

nice one, hurry up and post those pics..haha jk

So any thoughts of signing any of these..or
what plans do you have for your tracks if you
dont mind me askn?
u got skillz...

cheers man! Two of the tracks you mentioned in there might be getting signed this year, they need proffessional mastering and things first. I've got a tune that will def be getting signed, been speaking a certain contact. I'll give you more detail as the time grows nearer. and yes i will get those pic's up for you, ive just been completley flat out these last few weeks hhaaha. take it easy my bro ;)

Back
Top Bottom