DnB State of Mind & Black Sun Empire - The Ego EP

soulroomNZ

From State of Mind FB today:

"Time for another exciting announcement. With our Eat the Rich Remix EP out of the way, it's time to tell you about our next release.
Blackout proudly presents the new State of Mind & Black Sun Empire collab EP, 'The Ego EP'. It features 4 brand new slamming tracks, & one older unreleased track that has been floating about for a while.
Oh and it also features the triumphant return of one PNC to drum and bass.
The first single touches down in Dec, the rest in Jan. Boom!"

Being from NZ and loving dnb as much as I do its always a beautiful moment when you realise the artists you saw locally all the time are now signed to huge labels and are doing collabs with dons of the scene. After the string of albums and EPs put out by the likes of State of Mind on Blackout and the Upbeats on Noisia's Vision label it warms my heart to hear the boys cracking out new stuff like there's no tomorrow.

And for those of you who don't know of the State of Mind and PNC collab from way back ------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ianf7LuV3WM

Chur

Artwerk's looking exceptionally creepy...

10426528_10152868181545797_8244263692984957086_n.jpg

Last edited:
BSE (pre-2007 stuff was sick) and SOM are probably the only two producers whose tracks always just sound so generic and uninspired, absolutely every tune from these two is just so forgettable, talking about their solo stuff not collabs. I cant remember when was the last time BSE or SOM churned out a big, above average tune... BSE was great pre-2007 era. Curious to hear how that collab EP will sound :D

BSE (pre-2007 stuff was sick) and SOM are probably the only two producers whose tracks always just sound so generic and uninspired, absolutely every tune from these two is just so forgettable, talking about their solo stuff not collabs. I cant remember when was the last time BSE or SOM churned out a big, above average tune... BSE was great pre-2007 era. Curious to hear how that collab EP will sound :D

Wholeheartedly disagree. I think their first 2 albums showed alot of diverse music, 2nd one especially I really liked:

Unfortunately they lost it after that. Nil By Ear sounded like they went for a camo & krooked approach and eat the rich is the standard full blown angry neurofunk album without love. :(

Altho I liked Bigger Faster Stronger:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah m8 sorry I was a bit harsh, these are not bad tunes. but the newer stuff is still bad...

yeah m8 sorry I was a bit harsh, these are not bad tunes. but the newer stuff is still bad...

I'm not a fan of much of their recent stuff either, but that first statement was a total bullshit bro :D Let's turn this into a "SOM did a shit ton of great tunes in the past" thread :teeth:

Last edited by a moderator:
these tunes are all average mate, maybe 'Wanna Hear' is a bit better. I didn't say SOM makes bad tunes, I said he makes average tunes, they are OK but nothing else... easily forgettable. generic stuff

these tunes are all average mate, maybe 'Wanna Hear' is a bit better. I didn't say SOM makes bad tunes, I said he makes average tunes, they are OK but nothing else... easily forgettable. generic stuff

Well I guess we can agree to disagree then. I still play most of those tunes out fairly often and I wouldn't call single one of them average and definitely not easily forgettable. Though I needed some time to get into Pitch Dryfter for instance, I originally slated it as a pretty standard boring tune so I can see where you're coming from. Hearing it out for a few times changed my opinion and I love mixing it ever since.

I'm in a similar boat tbh mate, i'm from NZ so would luv to support SOM & play their tunes. But their music just isn't my thing, never has been, & I doubt it ever will be. I understand their really nice people too from what i've been told.

Back
Top Bottom