Starting out

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Saint, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

As its coming up to summer i thought giving mixing a go would be a laugh.

I already know how to mix (ish) but only at a basic level so this would be my learning curve. Im not planning on coming a profesional DJ, but i would like to be able to mix for myself and friends.

My main problem at the moment is working out what equipment im gonna need, and whether to go CD or Vinyl. In a perfect world where i had all the money i wanted i would probably go with vinyl, however i think that for a bit of fun CD might end up being better as i can get tracks without rinsing money every couple of weeks.

To cut a long story short, has anyone got any recomendations on what i should be looking for?

2. [Politrix]

[Politrix] Peace & fucking, believe!

mate i think you sorta answered your own question there, but if you want a reccomendation id say go vinyl. its so much better to mix with :devilslay

oh and if your gonna buy yourself a set of decks i learnt the hard way, its probably better if you splash a decent amount out your decks instead of goin for some cheap shitty ones!

3. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Plus you would still need to buy music with CDs... so i'd reccomend vinyl cause it looks cooler, sounds better, feels better, etc. For starting out might be worth buying a bulk lot of vinyl.

For vinyl decks you can get a good bargain on ebay, we got a pair of direct drive Numark TT2s with a Numark DM2002x mixer for 100 quid. Arrived in absolutely perfect condition, and perfectly good enough to learn with. I'd reccomend saving money for decent speakers cause that's the most important part, being able to actually hear your mixes well! I started mixing on a crappy surround sound DVD system which had a delay between the mixer and the speakers, a bitch to mix with.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

hahaha! so now im officially "cool".... hahaha... im strictly Vinyl and always will be..... the collection has amassed far too much for me to bother converting now.

CDs..... you just cant touch the damn things..... i want to physicly be able to hold my record....... what would my poor little mixer finger do if i ever started usin CDs???

5. safety

safety double safety

it would be free to finger a little midget under your cd decks*

6. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

aaaahhhhh! CD decks it is then!!

7. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Has anyone got any basic pointers for what to look out for when buying decks? Again im slightly in the dark here as to minor differences between models.

If anyone could recommend a pair of decent decks between £300-£500 that would be ideal.

EDIT: Im currently looking at a pair of Gemini TT02, anyone got any experience of them?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. safety

safety double safety

look on hard to find records website and they do starter packs of decent models, numark or gemini with mixer, anything like that really as long as they're direct drive. you should be able to find the right one for you in that price range.
    :cowbell:

9. WeSaveLives

WeSaveLives Member

10. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

I just picked up a pair of Technics 1210 second hand. Should be picking them up at the end of this week, looking forward to it :D

11. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

you won't be dissapointed as long as they're not battered to fuck. they are really the best to learn on, they're so forgiving, and more or less standard issue everywhere you go.

enjoy it mang (y)

12. [Politrix]

[Politrix] Peace & fucking, believe!

its all about the 1210's :devilslay

13. Reference

Reference fair shout.

if you have an opportunity for the plastic, take it, it's better learn something that you would be comfortable doing, rather than buying cd decks and wanting to learn vinyl a year later, i haven't had experience with either, but i'd gather vinyl's a harder option to take, so take it up before you wish you did before, and even if you don't like it, carry on, it's also much more fun because you can go about the place looking for gems, charity shops, car boot sales, skips, you can never get enough 80's!

14. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

:word:

15. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Nice one. Just out of interest, what did you pay for the 1210s?

16. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

I payed £450 for the pair and a mixer. Cant remember what the mixer was now, ill get back to you if it comes to me before it all arrives. I mainly wanted the decks as ill probably change the mixer in a few months.

17. Kibon

Kibon Blaze It Down !

maybe you can search here : http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR
    verry low prices but good quality , it's from a store in germany but I tought you can get your stuff shipped for free when you buy for more than 100€

18. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

Fuck that - get stuff from here

http://www.turntablelab.com

Check out those prices - remember they are in US Dollars! Crazy cheap, yeah you will have to pay shipping but that's no biggie... you'll still be saving a bundle

Also you can switch technics between voltages, or buy an adpator for stuff that can't be switched...

19. DJHaze

DJHaze I've been naughty, I'm banned

shiit thanks for the link. looking to get 1210s towards the end of the year and yu probably just saved me about 350 quid