Starting out with DJ'ing, Can anyone give me some advice with DJ systems, software ec

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
Ok, Ive recently decided (after about a year of producing music) that i think it would be a good idea to learn to DJ to help promote my music and other peoples...Ive been looking around and have come to the decision that ill like to start with a DVS(Digital vinyl system) as i cannot afford vinyl and this would be a great substitute. I don't know much about DJ'ing at all (Mostly what hardware + software too get).

After looking around some websites i found some software like this,
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=RELOOPSPIN2P

But i have some questions.
.Would i be able to buy any turntables and mixer and be able to use them with ReLoop?
.Would a need a particularly high spec laptop to use the software with?

Also,
I would find it very help full if someone could post me a couple of links for some hardware and software that would cater for my needs, i have a budjet of around £400-£500 but dont worry about going over it. Im just so lost with it all i dont know where to start!

I guess my ultimate question is, If i bought any mixer, turntables or controller no matter what make...would it becompatible with the Reloop software i linked above?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Aidan
:wave:
P.S. I would preffer some direct drive turntables but would settle for other options.

Last edited:
Re: Starting out with DJ'ing, Can anyone give me some advice with DJ systems, softwar

In my opinion http://www.decks.co.uk/products/rane/serato_scratch_live Serato is the best program ive used so far, previously used virtual dj :/ and traktor.

Have you got your own decks and mixer or are you looking to for the whole shabang of decks,mixer, software and laptop ?

On the laptop side of things im not too sure, i was running mine of a dell studio and it all seemed to work fine apart from the hiss of cheap cables (which can be fixed by buying more exspensive ones :) )

Hope this helped abit. !

Re: Starting out with DJ'ing, Can anyone give me some advice with DJ systems, softwar

Thanks,
Well i had a look at serato, but its simply too expensive for me at the moment and i would have thought that things like reloop, tractor and torque do a similar job?

Im looking for the whole shabang, except the laptop

spin is £309. you could probably pick up serato SL2 off ebay for £350 2nd hand....

Thanks,
Well i had a look at serato, but its simply too expensive for me at the moment and i would have thought that things like reloop, tractor and torque do a similar job?

Im looking for the whole shabang, except the laptop

Its sometimes a bit misleading though mate, in a lot of cases things will "do the job", but if it then fucks up and you end up going for Serato, then its cost you more in the long run than just waiting a bit and buying it in the first place.

I cant say if thats the case for your situation, as Ive only used Serato, so cant comment on what traktor and torque are like. They might be fine but I generaly think with this sort of thing you get what you pay for.

You wont need a silly spec laptop, but also not a really low end machine. A few GB of ram and seperate storage for your music will go a long way.

If its something your interested in and do a fair amount of, then it pays to buy good and buy once.

Thanks for the reply
Was helpfull, i guess saving for serato would be better in the long run.

but will it matter what setof turntables and mixer i buy, will they still be as compatible as any other?

turntables and mixer really don't matter, as long as you've got 2 phono and 2 line inputs on the mixer.

needles won't really make a difference either, but if you're only going to be using serato with it, you can get specific digital related needles > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...concorde+digitrack&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Ok thanks!

All questions now answered :beers:

Back
Top Bottom