DnB Starting out - looking for mixdown advice/any tips!

Yes! Awesome! A bit messy, but I love messy :D
Maybe more side-chaining (kick to bass and other synths)
It's a very loud track, so you need more dynamics to keep stuff clear.
And maybe a tiny bit less distortion on the basslines (or EQ down the high end a bit).

Your other track on soundcloud, Cracked, sounds a bit cleaner
beacause it breathes a bit more, has a bit more contrast.

But I love the sound design on Crowd Control!
What did you use to make it?

Thanks a lot mate. The bass I will normally make something that sounds ok on massive then split it onto 4 busses and cut it into bands. Then add fx to all of those individually camelphat, vocodex etc (I use FL) then put all them back into a bus where I will add probably another vocodex then eq the hell out of it normally about 6 eqs haha then limit and maybe compress a little bit. Just a lot of messing around until it sounds good really. Everything else is pretty self explanatory I guess!

And yeah that one sounds cleaner cos it's really minimal. I have trouble getting high end right on my speakers probably due to my room setup. :)

Thats some awesome sounds dude. The snare could do with a bit more space where it gets quite busy. Either some eq and/or sidechain.

typing as i listen.

sounds pretty loud. i like that. buildup fine so far, nice tension going on in there. drums seem a bit overcompressed now tho.

aaand you were right, you need mixdown advice. id start with compressing less and paying more attention to where everything is hitting. that basssound may sound good on its own, but highs are kinda ruining it, and theres not much low end coming through at my end.

with a bit (or more) tweaking to the drums, bass and highs this could be a decent tune.

just grab a similar tune and clean it up accordingly while referencing. should help ;)

good luck

@groelle Thanks and I agree with you but it's hard to do without taking out the energy of the track... also I think soundcloud is compressing it a bit it doesn't sound as bad in the file.

Yeah I noticed SoundCloud can completely ruin your tracks, but usually only when things are over-compressed...
Or when there's too much midrange (stereo) noise going on. EQ-ing the master a bit might help (not much though), or add more dynamics.
Have you tried more/stronger side-chaining? Both kick and snare could pump the bass a bit more (by which i mean the whole bassline, not only the low end on the basslines)

Back
Top Bottom