Starting a label..

I will go on knowledge gained from other, less popular genres as I am pretty new to the whole D&B scene...
I was always told, when I started out in production (as I said above it was another genre but it may still apply) to never start out looking to make money, which personally I feel isn't right anyway, people should do it for the scene and love of the music, not to solely make a living and for money making purposes.
I assume going digital is much cheaper, as their is no vinyl to press and sleeves to have printed. There is still the artwork and logo side of things to take into consideration, but you don't have to have it re-printed countless amounts of times.

That is my personal view mate, hopefully someone will contribute that actually has experience with Record Labels, the running of one, the cost and the money to be made side of things.

I will go on knowledge gained from other, less popular genres as I am pretty new to the whole D&B scene...
I was always told, when I started out in production (as I said above it was another genre but it may still apply) to never start out looking to make money, which personally I feel isn't right anyway, people should do it for the scene and love of the music, not to solely make a living and for money making purposes.
I assume going digital is much cheaper, as their is no vinyl to press and sleeves to have printed. There is still the artwork and logo side of things to take into consideration, but you don't have to have it re-printed countless amounts of times.

That is my personal view mate, hopefully someone will contribute that actually has experience with Record Labels, the running of one, the cost and the money to be made side of things.

Yeah of course money isn't the big reason mate, not to me anyway.. Would be a nice little bonus to have some rollin in though eh!

Was just thinkin at work today like where do you actually begin?

I'd fucking love to own a label. I'd make it a buy on sight label for everyone. Probably call it Ovaltine Music and sign tracks by Alix Perez and Lenzman and the like :)

Call yourself Goat Records and claim that Andy C stole the name Ram off you and you should be entitled to 25% of Ram. ;)

I've heard too about not going vinyl right away. Let your label get some noteriety before payin' to get all the vinyl pressed, etc. Or you might be sittin' on a lot of albums that won't sell down the line.
I was at a shop and asked if they were gonna re-up their vinyl section of DnB and they said,"No, what's there is there. Everyone is going mp3 now, so we're not purchasing vinyl anymore for the store." So that's another thing to consider, if anything, is to find a shop that will take your vinyl and sell it, on consignment, etc.. whichever worksout best. Because apparently some aren't gonna stock vinyl any longer.
The point is, make sure you'll have a demand for so much vinyl before gettin' it pressed, etc., so ya don't lose too much money, as it takes money to make money anyway, so of course you'll spend to get things started.
That's my 2 cents.

Also you have to think are going to sign tunes by already established DJ's and producers or are you going to pick up on new fresh talent?
In my opinion the latter is the way foreward but it is obviously no easy task finding someone who can churn out big tunes.

I was at a shop and asked if they were gonna re-up their vinyl section of DnB and they said,"No, what's there is there. Everyone is going mp3 now, so we're not purchasing vinyl anymore for the store."
I hoped you spat on the guy and then pissed on the floor and never returned to that shop.

advice for starting a label:
make good music
release in established labels
build a name for yourself in the scene
gain experience from label owners
launch your own label

imho its absolutely pointless to start a label without a decent amount of releases and publicity under your belt.
and yes, you want to do it "just for fun", but think: do we really need another label to saturate the scene even more ?
if you make good music, people will want to release it. if youve tried and they arent intrested, perhaps you need to learn a bit more before your material is ready for consumption.

(y):)

Last edited:
Dont set out to make money
Look after your artists
Know your music law
Have an identity
If done right though there is money to be made from a label

i hope to start a label at some point, but yeah first i'm going to try and build a name for myself, seems like the sensible thing to do (y)

I hoped you spat on the guy and then pissed on the floor and never returned to that shop.

Haha, it was a couple of ladies, and the vinyl wasn't a strong point of their shop anyway. Haven't been back since though.
There is a nothin' but vinyl shop across the street from it, called Hot Wax, but it's mostly breakbeats, as it's in Tampa where everyone is Florida Breaks crazy. Small dnb/jungle section in that shop, but not much of a selection tbh...Saw a Fokuz Limited release but from 2004...He doesn't update the DNB section really as it's not a big seller there...He told me he likes to spin old school ragga...which is funny he said that because it looks like he's just tryin' to sell off his old vinyl in that section for the most part..lol..i'm better off orderin' online that hittin' shops here...

Back
Top Bottom