startin up,

warney_dcfc

hey everyone, basically i been dj'in time and wanting to start producing for ages now but as ya know due to busy work and social life neva got round to it but seem to have sum free time nowadays and was really wondering what ya need to get started, and where ya can get it? i never looked into it before so need some ideas, and on a shoestring budget if possible haha.....not for pro set up but good stuff for beginners to learn on, any help wud b sound....

grab yourself a producing package (reason, cubase, fruityloops) the choice is yours but look around th site see what people think of each. a midi keyboard if you want and some active monitors,

all you really need is a pc and the software to start out tho.

yep a pc some seq software-i like reason and abelton-def the monitors
if i could go back to when i started -they would be wot i spent mi money on
good luck bro

Start reading computer music, future music and sound on sound magazines, go to tweakz homepage www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm for production tips go to the library, listen to everything from 1920 onwards music wise lol, watch u tube tutorials and get a few credit cards. GOOD LUCK .:jackson:

Start reading computer music

great advice, i get it every month usually and they give away some great free software (on the DVD you will find everything you need to get started - you'll outgrow most of it after a while and want to move on to fruity/ableton/cubase etc but it will give you a taste), some great VSTs that I use all the time (Compressive CM, TAL-Dub, TapeStop etc), and the samples are usually of a pretty good quality.

Not bad for a fiver anyway!

Made Environment

hello,

well, i wont say if one is better than the other. these two programs couldnt be more different.
Cubase is amazing, i love it despite all its glitches and faults.
But it took me the better part of 3 years to move inside it with confidence.
Another thing to consider is that whilst the price difference is quite small, Reason is a ready made environment, with fixed generators and effects.
Cubase is a host.
What this means, is that if you have reason, your only worry will be gathering samples, and learning how to make the most out of each unit.
With cubase, sonar, logic, reaper etc, its a never-ending pursuit of getting the newest plug in or synth that the market has hyped as the next best thing after oral sex. and trust me, this is a vicious circle that many self taught producers have fallen into, with most common result despair and frustration, and ultimately, surrender.
Many think that reason's inability to host third party plug ins is a downfall. i think that having a limited amount of tools pushes you into using them to their limits, and also stops you from becoming a gearslut...
thanks !!!

Back
Top Bottom