Starter producing need some hints.

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by BullDub, May 12, 2014.

1. BullDub

BullDub Member

I had a rough way to get this far and even now i feel like its still really bad.

This is what i got today well its not much but it took me 3 months to get here. (i'm using fl studio 10 and massive for the basses).

https://soundcloud.com/bull-dub/overdriveupdate

Please don't flame i know its bad..

Greethings BullDub.

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

Ok, I'm no expert either, but...
    Your snare is a bit quiet, and so is your kick. Turn them up a bit. If you're having problems with them clipping, then you might want to look up sidechain compression to prevent them interfering with the bass.
    Compression is one of the things that's hardest to learn about production, you can barely hear it at first when you start learning but it's really important.
    The bass doesn't sound that good to me, the fills are ok though. Maybe if you post a rough outline of how you made it I could try and give you some advice?

The overall structure, rhythms, variation I like though... you'd have to put in more variation if you made it any longer, but for this length it's fine

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    BullDub likes this.
  3. BullDub

BullDub Member

Kept it fairly simple as i am a starter.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it all points it out..
    Massive reese bass i use:
    [​IMG]

4. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I don't own massive, so I might be wrong on some things, but..
    If you are going for a reece bass (you don't have to!), it's more typical to use at least one sawtooth wave, rather than just two wavetables. (Osc3 doesn't seem to be turned on, so I presume it's not important)
    As well as this, I find some a lot of wavetables lacking in low end power, so that's another reason to use some saw waves as well as wavetables: they fill the whole spectrum better.

The slider on the right hand side of each oscillator is between Filter 1 and Filter 2, so I presume that half of your sound is going to filter 2? Also, the 'Mix' slider on the right hand side of the filter section is fully at Mix 2, which I think means that you're only using filter 2, but filter 1 is the one with all the LFOs and envelopes on? Assuming that those sliders do what I think they do...

There's a lot of stuff going on in the modulation osc, but it's not turned on...

Also you have 9 unison voices, good for a fat bass, but you cannot hear the effect of those extra unison voices when the Pitch/Cutoff thing under 'Unisono Spread' is turned off and the pitch/cutoff slider is at 0.

The other thing, I should have mentioned this before, is that your bassline uses quite a lot of high notes, which makes it lack in power. I tend to find anything below E is too low, and for a big bass, anything above G is starting to become less powerful. You can use notes that are higher, writing basslines using only E, F, F#, and G would be a bit limiting, but if you're aiming for thick bass, try and keep mostly within that range.

I hope that makes sense...

BullDub likes this.
  5. BullDub

BullDub Member

Ok So i did the sidechaining went for a few tutorials. (HAPPY I GET HELP FOR ONES) hero!
    Now i still need to learn a lot about massive, looking up many tutorials every day.
    I dit get some wet basses out of it and a few sounds. I made most of them whit all three oscolators on -24,
    accept for the ones i used in this sound look at the second picture.

(starts at 10 seconds)
    https://soundcloud.com/bull-dub/newone

Sidechained them as you can see. They do sound better but my basses suck somehow they ruin my shit :D
    [​IMG]

1 of the massive sounds inthere all 4 sounds are made out of this one Cuz i wanted to try sidechaining instead of making a crap sounding bass.
    [​IMG]

Now I do not nessesairely want a reese bass though i want to learn to create them as they are so hot (l) or cold (6)
    The thing is i'm a huge fan of jump up belgium guy here that goes to all the parties i know this weekend UNIVERSE!!! :D

Greethings BullDub and again thank you, you're the first guy who helps me.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Clipping isn't solved by sidechain compression: the sound that is clipping (in this case the kick and/or snare) will keep going over the 0db limit everytime it hits.

There are two things that come into my mind when things start clipping: or you put a limiter on that sound, but this can destroy it if not well used, or just turn down the volume of said sound.

Sidechain compression is used mainly to make two instruments that have the same frequency (bass and kick, for example) to co-exist on that same frequency without clashing. In practical terms, you sidechain the bass with the kick, so every time the kick hits, the bass "duck", or is greatly lowered in volume, and then goes back to it's normal volume again.

BullDub likes this.
  7. BullDub

BullDub Member

Done as told used a limiter on both the kick the snare and my bass. ( i am using tutorials for the limiter since you told it could destroy it)
    Found that the limiter is a verry usefull tool aswell thanks!
    It works somehow, ill keep playing whit that for a while untill i get the sound good.
    After that ill be whit massive for a while again cuz even if my kick snare sounds good i am the worst whit massive :D

8. BullDub

BullDub Member

This is what i got out of the last one now.
    Been working on it for a while havent finished ill be working on that for a few more weeks i think :D kinda like where this is going!
    https://soundcloud.com/bull-dub/radio-anger