St Holdings/Surus

From an interview posted today with D Bridge on fabriclondon site. (http://www.fabriclondon.com/blog/view/true-to-the-craft-in-depth-with-dbridge-part-1)

I think the label would be the perfect place to start, considering that Exit are back and hosting a Room and all... So, what’s going on with the label at the moment, any exciting things coming up?

In terms of Exit, there’s a lot going on actually. We’ve recently left our distributors so we’re pretty much doing everything ourselves now. It’s a big step for us but it’s going well so far. Other than that, there’s a lot of music forthcoming including albums from Skeptical and System as well as EPs from Chimpo, Calibre and Fixate. I am also working on this HeartDrive project, which is a collaboration between Kid Drama and I, whilst working on this subsidiary label, Pleasure District, which I’m pleased to say is up and running now.

Why did you decide to self-distribute?

Well when ST Holdings didn’t want to do certain aspects of the distribution, we initially looked into going to other distributors but then thought we might try and do it ourselves. The market has changed which means the distributors have had to adjust and as a result we’ve had to change the way we do things as well. When they first pulled the rug from underneath us, we really had to reassess everything but I quite like it this way. It’s almost that question of ‘why didn’t we do this before?’ It’s still in its infancy but you really get a sense of what’s going on and you have a better connection with those that are selling your music. With a distributor we’re just giving them the record and waiting for them to tell us how many we’ve sold but now we’re able to see who’s really getting involved, who is buying our music and which country they’re buying it from.

"vinyl might have diminished as a market but it’s definitely still a medium we can sell and potentially make some money from."

And from a business sense, it’s beneficial for us because essentially we are cutting out the middle man. You know, so vinyl might have diminished as a market but it’s definitely still a medium we can sell and potentially make some money from. So yeah, everything seems to be heading in the right direction. It’s kind of funny because I think in some ways it has come full circle you know? When I first started producing jungle, you pressed the record yourself and dropped it off at the record shop. In some ways, I think it’s kind of gone back to process but its more stream lined.

good on Exit for self-distributing, hope it works out well for them, they've got the clout/recognition to be able to do it and hopefully thrive

Unearthed Sounds is taking on more and more people to distribute for. Great shop to have in Bournemouth (my money is quickly disappearing already). Hopefully with the distribution side of it going at the same time the shop will be there for a long time! There's another thing the shop's doing to make money but I can't remember what it is now. It's just the one guy from ST Holdings doing Unearthed Sounds but another guy is doing something else, digital distribution maybe? I don't know.

Yeah one of the other guys is doing Railbird Digital which is the digital side I things. And yet another former stholdings guy is doing Well Tempered which handles the vinyl manufacturing side. Basically 3 former employees from stholdings split into 3 different companies that are now all kindve working together

Can't believe I've lost my downloads! The fucks could have emailed their customers and given us a 24hr window or something! Piss take for the people who pay for music and support the scene. (I know it's not the labels fault)

Back
Top Bottom