splitting bass

Fratanize

Keepin the jungle alive
VIP Junglist
does anyone split or clone their bass samples? high pass and low pass? mix any types of bass together, common names?? reece, hoover, sub, etc?
any methods for making bass roll or move around? calyx type bass.
how can we make our bass fill more frequencies? sound bigger?
any big tips from some experienced producers on here might really help new prods and refresh some stale methodology.

good fx to use with bass?

When working with reece, i usually clone 2 or 3 of them depending on the texture of the original sound (plain - more cloning or rich- less or no cloning), then detune them all just a bit in different directions. I'm talking +-10 cent here.

Lets say i have 3 layers then, i'd LP one very low, say 80Hz. The second i would HP from around 800-1000Hz depending on the sound and third would remain uncut.

Maybe add slow or tempo synced lfo to filter on one, maybe even set portamento on one or a nasty pitch attack... the possibilites are endless when working with a reece. Using a notch filter and a slow random lfo on it produces wonderful results.

Your regular bass hits i usually leave well alone (apart from a sub bass layer) unless they clearly need some higher texture, then i usually discreetly layer in a stab sound of some sort. In this case i just split to 2: the sub and the rest.

Last edited:
yes its all about layering basses / splitting them as the guys have said, normall i split into 3 - low / mid / hi (eg a reece) low normally i process with some heavy compression, mid flange, distortion, unison, hi sameas mid (all about playin around withwhat u feel sounds right) and maybe some steroe enhancing on the hi.

overall tho to get more movement in ur basses its a good idea to resample - so export say an 8 bar loop of ur reece, then maybe sweept a notch filter thru it, export that, again process with different filters, lfo etc and again, i normally carry out this process 3 or 4 times to get more movement :D

poizone gets on my nerves.
when i clone it, it dosent clone everything ive tweaked.

but to avoid this just save the preset then load it up again.
thing is i dont know why it bothers me i only have the demo version of poizone.

i want it badly though, some of the bass sounds ive ade on there are mental

anyone serious about production needs to read all this thread.
nuff respect so far, i have learnt a load of new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom