SPINNING MULTIPLE GENRES

Sir Dance alot

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on a professional DJ spinning more than one genre. I've been playing liquid dn'b for about 2 years now and am considering embarking on some deep house. Produced a few deep house tracks but never spun it. From a professional standpoint, do you think this could be beneficial or detrimental.

thank you!

it can be done....

just dont drop any house during a dnb set....that might not go down to well

i'm with dave. i like to hear a dj play a little something else during a set, breakbeat, ragga, dub, hip hop etc, but i draw the line at house, no matter how deep

Obviously no house would find it's way into a dnb set...but..I am purely speaking on different occasions...while using the same DJ moniker....Thank you for your replies thus far.

Obviously no house would find it's way into a dnb set...but..I am purely speaking on different occasions...while using the same DJ moniker....Thank you for your replies thus far.

I'm pretty sure you can play and record house and still have respect if you're good enough. John B does it and Noisia has record 4x4. However John B is the only one who mixes house into sets and gets respect - well, perhaps not so much from the hard core listeners of dnb.

Breaks, ragga, hiphop, they're all connected by a short hop to dnb. But the chasm to 4x4 is much wider, especially to deep house.

I've played funky house,electro house,hip hop,uk garage/grime.old skool hardcore as well as jungle/drum 'n' bass......but the latter is best imho.
I would'nt drop house in d'n'b set though,maybe a bit of grime or the bingo sort've stuff.

I was down the stratford rex once when shy fx dropped a garage tune in the middle of he's set,some liked it some did'nt!

Anything except for 4x4 you can pull off.

Bullshit!!!!

i play hard dnb, and mix it with some hard techno/deathchant style stuff and it goes off! i'm also discovering with the right tunes you can mix gabba and dubstep, but it is fuckin hard!!!! its all about whos in the club and if they wanna hear just dnb or a range of styles.

Bullshit!!!!

i play hard dnb, and mix it with some hard techno/deathchant style stuff and it goes off! i'm also discovering with the right tunes you can mix gabba and dubstep, but it is fuckin hard!!!! its all about whos in the club and if they wanna hear just dnb or a range of styles.

I was obviously referring to deep, funky, disco and 130 bpm popular house styles, not fringe music.

If you heard some deep house with liquid funk you'd probably whistle the dj off, so calm down dear.

Last edited:
As a visual artist/painter...I've have been tought (and it is also a known thing) that "Variety is a Sign of Weakness" when it comes to someones body of work...Consistency is what will make a name for you. So I'm basically just wondering if it would be detrimental as a dnb dj to start spinning some deephouse sets under the same name i go as for DNB....If you guys have heard of WaxDoctor..I know he produces a lot of techno tracks but also can kill the shit out of a liquidy drumnbass jam...

I think you should be open to play outher styles of edm when your playin, but I would be very carefull about what track you select. You could very well clear the floor & have 300 people pissed off at ya. I would go for more of a garage or 2 step tune in this case.

good topic. i prefer decent deep house to most other 4beat forms and i can definitly see the link with liquid dnb styles.
it could work, but the main thing that gets in the way is that the rushiness of dnb can make other styles sound tame, (even when they're not really tame).

There are links & overlaps between all the styles. For ever person who hates incorporating an other genre there will be somebody who loves it. However drastically changing the tempo of a set can turn people off as House music will sound b*gger slow compared to D&B!

Later

Fluff

its fine to be spinning different styles in the same set, noisia did a half breaks half d'n'b set at glastonbury but that works because its grimey breaks and grimey d'n'b. just be careful which genres youy're mixing,

agreed.
agreed.
agreed.

I think in a nutshell you should look at it like this: Music is music (one love and all that) whether your a DnB or a Reggae DJ you should always find inspiration from other genres and styles.

I play everything out and at home in the bedroom, and i personally believe that versatility makes you stand out from 'the herd'.

Although i play everything, i play DnB sets out more, because i love it so much. Thats the difference. You can feel a tune in another genre but not love the whole genre completely. I still play house sets and have parties jumpin, for the people that like house - they love that bit, and the fact im giving them those feelings is the reason i like DJing. Im just more passionate about DnB as i get the same feelings as the dancefloor :)

hardcore / dnb / dancehall (Chase n status rhythm (bom-bom-kah)) / dubstep / hip-hop / reggae are all the same speed (either absolutely or half exactly of each other) and therefore can be mixed easily enough. Ive played all of these in my DnB sets (Apart from hardcore) but saying that ive heard hardcore DJs play pendulum in thier sets and people love it!

Back
Top Bottom