Spikes of the damned CPU

AcidShroom

hellooo all,

I'm having huge issues now with spikes, basically it all started with not so frequent spikes and only in abetlon the CPU seemed to spike, but now......everything spikes in general. When i have more than 5 tracks, it starts having spiked..CPU meter has peaked over 500% which makes producing really frustrating, cant finish the latest track im working on because of it.

Is it a hardware issue? is it a virus? I have no clue, thus im asking u guys. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Peace to you all

I was having a lot of problems like this, turns out my wi-fi driver was causing latency spikes which was making Ableton crash all the time.

Disabled wi-fi and not had any of those problems since.

I was having a lot of problems like this, turns out my wi-fi driver was causing latency spikes which was making Ableton crash all the time.

Disabled wi-fi and not had any of those problems since.

Intresting, I gotta try this (I run ableton as well, and only have 4GB of RAM) . Did you just turn WiFi off? Or did you have to disable the WiFi driver in the device manager?

Intresting, I gotta try this (I run ableton as well, and only have 4GB of RAM) . Did you just turn WiFi off? Or did you have to disable the WiFi driver in the device manager?

Yeah I turned it off in device manager, its on my desktop pc which I use for music production anyway so not bothered about having it online anyway.

I used this program to get to the bottom of the problem - http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml have it running to see if you are having latency spikes, then start disabling things in device manager to see if it stops. The first thing I tried was the wi-fi driver and the spikes immediately stopped (y).

So glad I got to the bottom of that problem, before that I had been putting up with constant crashes in Ableton for over a year, was driving me fucking nuts!

Yeah I turned it off in device manager, its on my desktop pc which I use for music production anyway so not bothered about having it online anyway.

I used this program to get to the bottom of the problem - http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml have it running to see if you are having latency spikes, then start disabling things in device manager to see if it stops. The first thing I tried was the wi-fi driver and the spikes immediately stopped (y).

So glad I got to the bottom of that problem, before that I had been putting up with constant crashes in Ableton for over a year, was driving me fucking nuts!

I'll have to check out that latency program. I wonder why the WiFi is causing the issue. Maybe ableton is constantly trying to connect to the Internet incase it needs to send bug reports or verify software registration or something. My desktop took a shit, so I've had to since switch to my laptop for production. I have a USB dock that connects my laptop to a regular monitor, keyboard, and audio interface. I think that whole deal might be causing some issues. Would be nice if the WiFi made it instantly work like a champ, but I doubt I'd be that lucky.

That latency checked should help out the OP with his issue as well.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I'll have to check out that latency program. I wonder why the WiFi is causing the issue. Maybe ableton is constantly trying to connect to the Internet incase it needs to send bug reports or verify software registration or something. My desktop took a shit, so I've had to since switch to my laptop for production. I have a USB dock that connects my laptop to a regular monitor, keyboard, and audio interface. I think that whole deal might be causing some issues. Would be nice if the WiFi made it instantly work like a champ, but I doubt I'd be that lucky.

That latency checked should help out the OP with his issue as well.

Its weird, cos my laptop does not have this problem at all. I can have Ableton and wi-fi running on it without issue.

Usually, if everything has been ok cpu-wise, then you get ridiculous spikes like that it's most likely a VST causing the problem. I'd move some out of the vst folder, and through process of elimination you will find the problem vst. Had this problem many times over the years and it's always been due to one of my vsts.

The plugin can be ok at first, then a bit down the line it can start to cause problems. Once located, reinstall it, and if still spiking find an alternative vst to do the job.

Usually, if everything has been ok cpu-wise, then you get ridiculous spikes like that it's most likely a VST causing the problem. I'd move some out of the vst folder, and through process of elimination you will find the problem vst. Had this problem many times over the years and it's always been due to one of my vsts.

The plugin can be ok at first, then a bit down the line it can start to cause problems. Once located, reinstall it, and if still spiking find an alternative vst to do the job.

Thats why when I get a new computer, I'm gonna install plugins slowly. At the moment, I have so many I'd basically have to uninstall all of them and start over. The basic .dll ones would be easy to just pull out and put back in the VST folder, but the bigger ones that do a full install and show up in your programs list will be harder. Some of them even leave registery date still in place, so you gotta clean that up after an uninstall. That's why a clean slate would be nice.... Install one VST a week and set a Windows restore point before you do incase you need to go backwards in time.

Would re-installing windows help? i really hope it's not a hardware issue, because these spikes are holding my progress down T_T at least i have my piano

Would re-installing windows help? i really hope it's not a hardware issue, because these spikes are holding my progress down T_T at least i have my piano

Oh man... A reinstall couldn't hurt the situation, but you know how much time is involved in moving files to a portable hard drive and reinstalling every program you had before. It's a mess for sure.

If it worked just fine, then all the sudden went to shit in the CPU department, I'd look into jumping back to a system restore point just before if went downhill. That should fix it if it has anything to do with software. If it gradually got worse and worse, then it might be hard to determine. You CPU and RAM specs are pretty low for most major DAW's now days. I know that first hand since I have one computer similar to your specs and it's a bitch to try and make tunes on. I have been using my laptop for now since it has better specs.

Did registry cleaning, defraged c: drive, ran anti virus, did a system scan in cmd....still lag, altho the laptop is a bit faster. I have absolutley no clue what is it with these CPU spikes. In CS 1.6 i get spikes also.....

the spikes are too damn high

1209_mcmillan_630x420.jpg

Back
Top Bottom