Spectral Analyzer... ?

Viperdnb

On his way.
Seen this on that chase & status tutorial, just wondering how crucial to production this is, because I'm having a little trouble with eq and I thought it'd be much easier seeing where the kick snares ect are peaking.
Bare in mind I've never used such a thing before :P.
I've looked around for a free one for Mac, but can't really find anything :s.

Your ears are better, but its useful to see where it all sits, the one there using in that tutorial i believe is the waves paz analyser (i know for a fact that was what i saw in SF's tut) but the best one ive found is the one that comes standard in wavelab. Im sure theres a bunch of free ones out there too, but you get what you pay for with these things!

Seen this on that chase & status tutorial, just wondering how crucial to production this is, because I'm having a little trouble with eq and I thought it'd be much easier seeing where the kick snares ect are peaking.
Bare in mind I've never used such a thing before :P.
I've looked around for a free one for Mac, but can't really find anything :s.

This is essential to use every time in my opinion. if you want to get your mix perfectly balanced you need an exact visual representation of where all your sounds are hitting in the mix and at what frequency. Your ears can let you down sometimes if you have been monitoring for long periods of time. Also, if the acoustics in your studio aren't great this will give you false reading eg - too much sub or muddy sounding mixes. Everyone I know that makes tunes in the scene including myself always uses an analyzer.

Shame voxengo span is not for Mac, since this is my fav spectrum analyser...

What's your DAW? QUite a few already contain a spectrum analyser...

Uhmmmm, renoise is my daw... :3

Hello mate - I used Renoise for years - the best thing about it is that it has a built-in Spectrum Analyser at the top of the main window (in the middle)... you might have to change the options to see it though... I used to love this about Renoise - you coudl ALWAYS see the freq response no matter what you were working on.

You might have to toggle an option somewhere near the window at the top/middle to see the equaliser but its definitely there mate.

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll look up scrrenshots and whatnot - I'm at work right now so kinda clamped.

all about voxengo span...
def my pref for a VST analyzer...

dont like waves paz as the reolution
is to low...

specPLUS is a great standalone analyzer...

I use the one on logic EQ. I was wondering if there was one where you can see more than one part at a time, with each part shown as a different colour for example? Cos when you look at more than one instrument on the logic one it shows the frequencies but you cant see which instrument is which.

reaFIR from the cockos plugs is handy. You can look at the analyser and eq or compress in the same screen.

Using analyzers in music is a bit like eating with your nose. Shit might look and smell the same but you've seriously missed something.

Ears are the best analyzer imo. But that requires an excellent listening environment and decent monitoring too.

Nah, I use it sometimes too tho. Just had to post because that nose-eating analogy was so cool :D

Using analyzers in music is a bit like eating with your nose. Shit might look and smell the same but you've seriously missed something.

Ears are the best analyzer imo. But that requires an excellent listening environment and decent monitoring too.

Nah, I use it sometimes too tho. Just had to post because that nose-eating analogy was so cool :D

Its wrong to produce with a blocked nobe... here here.:D

all i use these days is the dB metering tools that come standard with software. as long as im not clipping, i dont worry too much about the spectral info. sure things could be louder some places, but then you lose dynamic range or the basic grits of a sample from trying to eq areas better. i might flick one on whilst compressing and mastering though just to make sure the compression isnt fuxx0ring the sounds too much

but then you lose dynamic range

full spectrum dance has virtually no dynamic range...
i wouldnt be to worried about squashing sounds a bit...
you will increse the RMS of the tune and it will stand
up in the mix with big name tunes...

Back
Top Bottom