Speakers

Harry3

Chuki
VIP Junglist
Soooooooooooooooooooo

looking to get some proper speakers (using some JBL PC speakers atm :teeth:), but theres so much out there. I have shit luck with amps so mainly looking for active ones + a good sub all for about £500. Any brands I should look out for/stay away from? Anyone selling any?

Cheers :)

You just picked a pair of beast like speakers mate! Not sure what you're rockin' atm speakers wise but they're heavy as fuck. You're gonna be a wanted man in your hood... :2thumbs:

PA will be loudest, monitors are pointless if you don't know what you want even, and Hi-Fi should be crisper than a PA system in that bracket.

roughly speaking at least.

What of those sounds right?

Monitors will be crisper and more defined sound. PA speakers fill a room more...personally I use both but I'd say start with active monitors Harry...

PA will be loudest, monitors are pointless if you don't know what you want even, and Hi-Fi should be crisper than a PA system in that bracket.

roughly speaking at least.

What of those sounds right?

yeah i got the impression monitors are are quality over quanitity and PA speakers vice versa, Im not a massive audiophile, of course Id like my music to sound good though, but it seems to me PA speakers are more versatile and you could use them at partys and stuff if you wanted to.

I got my rokit's off why buy new, they were ex display. Mint condish, and almost half the price.

And apparently the sub for the rokits is shit, and not worth the coin.

yeah i got the impression monitors are are quality over quanitity and PA speakers vice versa, Im not a massive audiophile, of course Id like my music to sound good though, but it seems to me PA speakers are more versatile and you could use them at partys and stuff if you wanted to.

Those Mackies are decent enough quality. May be a problem if you have neighbours though! A lot depends on the size of the room you're in. I'm guessing it's a bedroom or living room in which case unless you have a big house the Mackies are probably too big. I've got some Adam A8X and before I moved flats I had to turn the bass down on them as the room was too small!

Those Mackies are decent enough quality. May be a problem if you have neighbours though! A lot depends on the size of the room you're in. I'm guessing it's a bedroom or living room in which case unless you have a big house the Mackies are probably too big. I've got some Adam A8X and before I moved flats I had to turn the bass down on them as the room was too small!

Yeah I live a semi-detatched house and my room is right next to my neighbours... but they dont use the room and last time I saw it it was packed full of mattresses! :teeth: Iv never had a complaint from them, but yeah if I get those I have a big garage with a room above it which I can move my decks into.

also remember that all these speakers will sound very different in different rooms.

but yeah PA speakers have the advantage for parties etc...

I know fuck all about got PA speakers though sorry

To the OP, Im pretty much in the same boat.

Ive played on KRK RP6's which sound great but the bass doesnt go low enough

Ive played on makie thumps which are great but buzz at low levels.

Im tempted by the budget behringers which are very much like the mackies for all intensive purposes, ive heard good things about them.

As far as speaker advice goes; the smaller the cone, the less bass. You play drum & bass, which isnt quite the same without the bass. . .
If you want to hold small partys the KRK's will do you, the bigger the party, the bigger the speakers. Anything over 30 people in the main party room and you'll need a pair of 15" speakers minimum.
PA's are not great to practice on, theyre meant for volume and although you want to hear it, you dont wanna be deaf by the time you come to throw a party.

In an ideal world, you have 2 systems. Go pick up a modular hifi setup on the cheap. mix and match to your will, just make sure it will support a sub. I highly recommend you get a sub with a hifi setup, it makes a world of difference.
Then go pick up a second hand setup locally of someone on ebay. There are so many bargains out there you'd be a fool not to at least look. e.g. You can pick up a pair of OHM 15" for £200 and a reasonable amp for £100 which will kick seven shades out of the mackies for half the price.

One thing to consider is that PA speakers with bigger drivers will sound at their best when being driven quite hard, not blasting them, but at a decent volume. having them really low will sound a bit weak compared with a monitor/speaker thats designed for lower volumes. So worth weighing up how much time you'll be using them for parties etc, and how much time you'll have the volume rolled down.

To the OP, Im pretty much in the same boat.

Ive played on KRK RP6's which sound great but the bass doesnt go low enough

Ive played on makie thumps which are great but buzz at low levels.

Im tempted by the budget behringers which are very much like the mackies for all intensive purposes, ive heard good things about them.

As far as speaker advice goes; the smaller the cone, the less bass. You play drum & bass, which isnt quite the same without the bass. . .
If you want to hold small partys the KRK's will do you, the bigger the party, the bigger the speakers. Anything over 30 people in the main party room and you'll need a pair of 15" speakers minimum.
PA's are not great to practice on, theyre meant for volume and although you want to hear it, you dont wanna be deaf by the time you come to throw a party.

In an ideal world, you have 2 systems. Go pick up a modular hifi setup on the cheap. mix and match to your will, just make sure it will support a sub. I highly recommend you get a sub with a hifi setup, it makes a world of difference.
Then go pick up a second hand setup locally of someone on ebay. There are so many bargains out there you'd be a fool not to at least look. e.g. You can pick up a pair of OHM 15" for £200 and a reasonable amp for £100 which will kick seven shades out of the mackies for half the price.

cheers, would be nice if you could expand a bit more on this though? Any examples you can dig up on ebay to give me an idea of what im looking for? :)

Back
Top Bottom