Speakers issue

ekins11

Hi, just bought some Rokit 8 G2's for my setup

they buzz when i i have my laptop battery plugged in and not sure why and i can only run my laptop about 20mins without being plugged into the main, not sure why there is interference any suggestions on what i can do?

thanks

I used to have this problem when i was producing on a laptop. It's a bitch and there isn't much that can be done.

The problem is something to do with grounding I think. It's pretty hard to completely resolve the problem, the only thing that rid of it for me was buying a desktop.

Here's some things that can be done to reduce the noise;

Have your power supply as far away as possible from your laptop and speakers.
Try a new or other power supply and make sure it's not just a dodgy supply.
Try it in different sockets.

The most helpful thing will be something called a Ferrite Core, you basic wrap your cable around or in it and it reduces interference.

They look like this;

ferrite_core.jpg

The most common being the top left one, it may look similar to what you have already on your power supply, you may just need a couple more.

Hope I've helped and I feel for ya man. I used to get so so pissed of with this.

cheers for the advice, just solved it by swapping with my housemates chargers. kinda odd how humming can be caused by one charger and not another.

Now to get the mixes going

or try plugging all the stuff, or at least both speakers and a laptop into a single socket

Thats what causes the problem.

If the laptop PSU is badly grounded and everything is plugged into the same fuse, you get hum.

It shouldnt happen on any decent system, because every decent system uses at least two fuse lines; one for the booth, one for the rig.

A ground loop isolator goes a good way to eradicating the issue, I have it too. But its only good for phono, i.e. bedroom use.

Back
Top Bottom