Speaker Placement?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Wellsy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

So wheres the prime place to put your speakers for mixing? Im using bog standard stereo speakers which do the job but I dont think Im getting the most out of them.

Currently I just have one either side of me (One placed on a shelf aligned with my shoulder about a meter away and one placed on a chair waist height a meter away).

I dunno it seems sometimes the tunes are clashing when actually their not and can sometimes be encumbered by too much bass, giving the suggestion that their not in the correct place.

I thought I might get some extended speaker wire and place them behind me higher up or something, Any idea guys?

2. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Set them at ear level (or as close as possible), or if its not possible then pointing towards your ears at the very least, equal distance away from each side (again if possible). Having them waist height isnt ideal, you dont hear much from there!

3. Wellsy

Wellsy Member

cheers for the advice bro:)

I just thought there was a whole world of speaker physics or something haha....?

4. motion audio

S'alrite mate (y) There is a load of theory to speakers and acoustics, but for just mixing in your room with your stereo speakers theres no need to go over the top, as long as it sounds clear enough for you to hear your mixes nicely your all good.

5. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

best place 4 speakers is up yo ass

6. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

I have mine together on the floor and it sounds shit!
    An ideal basic set up would be 2 speakers on head hight speaker stands equal distances apart on both sides. The speaker stands will isolate the sound. Keep them a little way from the wall as well as this increases bass frequencies.
    Normally most people can't achieve this due to lack of space etc.
    Also as a little warning when you play out in shit clubs/ house parties/ places with shit or non existent monitors you may find it really hard to mix. So if you have some lovely sounding set up at home and get a gig at a place you suspect is gonna have shit sound you may want to try placing your speakers in a really bad sounding place just for a day or two to get used to it.

7. motion audio

Learn to mix purely on headphones aswel, that way if the monitors are that bad you can just ignore them

8. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

This is a very good idea also if MC's are coming through your monitors you wont be able to hear shit!