Southern Sound Festival 2009

so why was the security so heavy handed and taking a militant approach? why were they kicking out campers for bringing in booze if it's not on sale in the venue?!

sounds like a proper let down. surely they know what the festival vibe is meant to be about?

or clearly not as the case may be....

1. there were several bars in the venue, so whoever said there wasn't was bullshitting

2. yes the security were strict on the noise but on my first night i saw the security let a man through even though they found weed and mdma in his bags, and second night i physically saw a security man give this kids pills back to him after he got searched! no lies!

1. there were several bars in the venue, so whoever said there wasn't was bullshitting

2. yes the security were strict on the noise but on my first night i saw the security let a man through even though they found weed and mdma in his bags, and second night i physically saw a security man give this kids pills back to him after he got searched! no lies!

if you had seen how the security had treated us and the people around us in that site it was a pure joke. This was not a festival... more like cub camp. Id never go there again,.

@ whitey - great set on friday mate i wa slovin it, also great mini set after brookes brothers too, & just listened to that cd ou was handin out, fuckin bangin! mind if i upload for others to listen?

@ Russia - i think i saw you half way through the marky set with a bird and another few blokes, i was tempted to say hi but i dont think i was in the right state for a 1st impression, abit messy seeeeeen

i was in the graffiti tent, the tall one did get searched also, it looked like a tipi yeah?

We were gettin smashed in the early hours, being really loud and basically having an after party. Then all of a sudden they just came over and told us to sit on the floor with our legs crossed. They searched my mates tent found 24 pills , weed and some coke. Got arrested but he still got out in the morning to come back and play his set in destiny! (which was fucking sick on sunday morning, anyone see it? )

The festival wasnt terrible, it was what you made of it, i had a crackin time, the only reason it had alot of untied knots was coz it was the organisers first ever festival and for a 21 year old he didnt do bad at all.

WELL PISSED OFF ABOUT AUDIO BULLYS NOT TURNING UP THOUGH!!!

i was in the graffiti tent, the tall one did get searched also, it looked like a tipi yeah?

We were gettin smashed in the early hours, being really loud and basically having an after party. Then all of a sudden they just came over and told us to sit on the floor with our legs crossed. They searched my mates tent found 24 pills , weed and some coke. Got arrested but he still got out in the morning to come back and play his set in destiny! (which was fucking sick on sunday morning, anyone see it? )

The festival wasnt terrible, it was what you made of it, i had a crackin time, the only reason it had alot of untied knots was coz it was the organisers first ever festival and for a 21 year old he didnt do bad at all.

WELL PISSED OFF ABOUT AUDIO BULLYS NOT TURNING UP THOUGH!!!

HAHA MATE i think i saw you last night! i was in that fucking tiny tent net to the graffiti one lol

hahaha we were the last men standing in the camp site last night, ended up buying some fudge hash for a tenner and got fucking HIGGGHHH!

Was either that or methadrone. Fuck that.

How'd you find the weekend buddy?

People who didnt turn up was Audio Bullys, Lisa Lashes, Mampi, Hazard.

Not sure about any others! The warm up acts were shit hot though so it wasnt too bad

Haha Gooch Cheese! Don't even remember saying that lol!

To be fair the security on the camp site were fucking well too on top, was shitting it everytime they come round for fear of losing my k and having a shit time!

Saturday was fucking immense, all the sets were banging, such good vibes and it was ramo'ed the whole night compared to other tents!! Was absolutely spanked by 10pm tho, hit it well hard all day :)

Sunday was a proper let down, hardly anyone turned up in the evening so felt a bit jipped but Whitey and Krakota most definately redeemed the day. Danny P tho, WTF? Sorry but how the fuck did him and his mate get on the decks, just utter shite!

Overall it was a pretty good little rave, no bad attitudes, amazing weather, brilliant Funktion Systems all round, good MCs, good sets on Saturday so i was pretty happy... Except the £70 price tag for over protective security and way TOO many no-shows!

Would go again, just wouldn't camp for shit!

There were a few artists that didn't show in the Destiny arena but overall the majority did show. The destiny tent had the best vibe by a mile as people have mentioned. Although it's got to be said, the set times were all over the show compared to the scheduled times.

@ whitey - great set on friday mate i wa slovin it, also great mini set after brookes brothers too, & just listened to that cd ou was handin out, fuckin bangin! mind if i upload for others to listen?

Thanks man, appreciate it :)

I've uploaded the set to the mixes section if anyone else wants a listen.

Haha Gooch Cheese! Don't even remember saying that lol!

To be fair the security on the camp site were fucking well too on top, was shitting it everytime they come round for fear of losing my k and having a shit time!

Saturday was fucking immense, all the sets were banging, such good vibes and it was ramo'ed the whole night compared to other tents!! Was absolutely spanked by 10pm tho, hit it well hard all day :)

Sunday was a proper let down, hardly anyone turned up in the evening so felt a bit jipped but Whitey and Krakota most definately redeemed the day. Danny P tho, WTF? Sorry but how the fuck did him and his mate get on the decks, just utter shite!

Overall it was a pretty good little rave, no bad attitudes, amazing weather, brilliant Funktion Systems all round, good MCs, good sets on Saturday so i was pretty happy... Except the £70 price tag for over protective security and way TOO many no-shows!

Would go again, just wouldn't camp for shit!

Who didnt show?

if you had seen how the security had treated us and the people around us in that site it was a pure joke. This was not a festival... more like cub camp. Id never go there again,.

Cub camp sounds about right lol.

I think Hazard did show, apparently only played 30 minutes though??

hazard only played 30 minutes, mampi, subfocus and noisia didnt show up.

just in case anyone wanted to know i got talking to hazard and i asked if psychedelic was going to come out and he said yes before the end of this year :)

ive been told by some people in high places that this event flopped HARD

they needed £6000 to break even they got around £1700

u can be sure that unless this event gets new ownership it wont be happening again

glad it aint happening again tbf! saturday was pretty fat..despite the sercurity/lack of people..sunday was just bad! ive heard from a matey that the bloke who organised it has been gettin threats cuz people want theyre money back! i want my £70!!!

also people getting let in for free just takes the piss

hazard did show up, he played a 40 minute set like 4 hours before he was meant to...

subfocus, mampi & noisia didnt show,

and for all the people who said sunday i was shit, i thoght it was bangin!

and i might be hated f rthis, but i thougt the chase & status set was pretty sweet. good vibes i was in a messy state so i loved it!

yeh i was buzzin to see subfocus then that skydro annouced DANNY P, me and my mates just looked at each other in utter confusion and dissapointment

good weeken overall imo

Official Statment from the organiser:

I would like to apologise to anybody that feels "ripped off" in anyway, my intentions were only ever to offer people a festival experiance that they would never forget, the truth is simply that the event didnt generate enough money as not enough people bought tickets despite all our advertisment efforts, the festival event costs increased greatly running up to the event as hidden costs became aparent, and the money we already had to fund wasnt enough to cover this increase in costs as well as initial costs. Chicane got paid a massive £8625 deposit, Felix Da Housecat a £5000 deposit, Audio Bullys a £3750 deposit, there balance payments that we couldn't pay due to lack of funds were due to be the same figures as there deposits again, all these acts kept there huge deposits for themselfs after the event for doing nothing at all and not showing up to play, if those three acts alone returned there massive deposits to me for doing nothing, we could refund 250 weekend camping tickets at £70, or 700 part refunds of £25, but artist agents wont part with this money (the customers money), as it was a contracted deposit agreement.

I did all I could, and I am honestly sorry to anybody who did not enjoy there weekend, it was a big step for me to put on a £250,000 music festival, I'm only 22 and full of ambition, and perhaps I took to much on to quickly and for this I am sorry.... Read more

My company "get yr kix ltd" is in the process of liquidation, and unless the artists that did not play but did recieve a deposit return these monies, refunds sadly are very unlikely.

Running up to the event it became quite clear that we wouldn't hit the sales figures that we needed to pay everyone accross the weekend, we were faced with a difficult choice, that choice being either to cancel the festival event and only a fraction (not all) of the customers would get a part refund however myself and family wouldnt loose a penny more, the other option was to open the gates to the public despite the situation and risk myself looseing a further £100,000, but at least still the customers are offered something to do as apposed to nothing at all like many other festivals this year, the second option was the choice we came to amongst myself and family in the end.

Again I apologise to those who feel ripped off, a lot of people have good things to say about Southern Sound and had a great time to my delight.

If you feel totally cheated, please send me a personal message, and though I cant offer a refund, I will happily and honestly answer your questions.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Laner
x

I feel kinda sorry for Jon Lane but at the end of the day its either pure arrogancy or naivety trying to put on festival in such a shit economic climate, plus right at the end of summer when everyone is broke ... Yada yada yada i could go on.

Lesson learnt.

P.S. I still had a good time :) SOO glad i'm into dnb not hardcore!

Back
Top Bottom