sounds stupid bit of advice

aflex

But, i have been out of a studio computer for some time now it has gave me time to take things in read more learn more expand my knowledge in great detail. i am sure many of us have watched a video or read an article or something and went straight into a project and didn't quite understand or have more questions that need answering than before you watched the video, read the tutorial, article or what not.

This time away form my computer has boosted my knowledge so much more, and i am so eager to get back in the seat i have all notes ideas that will take up the time i think this might cure unfinished projects.

The point i am trying to make is that a SUBSTANTIAL time away from the studio is a very good thing to think, asses and learn, boost the knowledge you already have.

Take this advice how ever you want but this what i have done and i can say it has helped a lot, so if it has worked for me am sure it will for some one else.

its very true. ive taken a quik break becos my laptop set up was pissing me off too much so whilst i was putting together my new mac set up i bought loadsa magazines and books and did a fair bit of reading and watching video tutorials. it defo increases ur knowledge and makes u keen to hit the studio. i fucking love reading the likes of computer music and sound on sound. Its wikid to see how ur favourite producers make their stuff and pick up all their tips and tricks.

i also like to spend like a week (of evenings cos i work 9-5) on a tune n then leave it alone for at least the weekend, maybe even another week, before returning to the tune. u attack it with a fresh pair of ears and if ur tune is reli as good as u think u will be struck by so many inspiring ideas as the track plays tht u shud be busy for the rest of the week again. u cue always just work on a different tune but i like to spend alot of time on one track (esspecially if im inspired by what im doing).

i rekon alot of people have different work ethics but mine is to seriosuly not rush things and take my time. As i dnt have the time to produce full time il spend 2 or 3 hour sessions at a time and it usually takes me about a month to finish an arrangment, and even then il probs go back and tweak or completely re arrange or mix the track again.

ive also taken a bit of a break cos if xmas holidays, illness, new years hang over, and a general lack of inspiration. im getting smart agian though, ill be back on the job within the week

ive also taken a bit of a break cos if xmas holidays, illness, new years hang over, and a general lack of inspiration. im getting smart agian though, ill be back on the job within the week

breaks are just as important as actually making the music in my opinion. when you have the same track going for a number of hours, your judgement gets impaired to a degree so its a smart move to come way, chill out and chat with ya mates or have a smoke n what not. even better a few days later as fella above said, your ears will be fresh and different ideas will come into the track.

good thread!

also, i find its the same inside the actual track aswell, the 'gaps' in basses or drums sometimes add a real nice emphasis to the song. its like you can create sense of urgency by doing things like this.

yeah i've just had a block for ages but i went to my dad's and had a play with some sounds on the comp and i mocked something up worth finishing, i wasn't bothered though because i knew a block is only healthy, it gives you time to reflect and shit

its said you need a 15 minute break per hour(? or something like that) which we never ever do, instead we do like 8 hour production marathons on the same song which fatigues your brain something insane, so now, instead, we have a side project we boot up once every session just to click around with. nothing serious but the funny part is these are usually the projects i actually finish, more so than the main project

I always have loads of projects on the go and never try to push any of them. If I get a block I tend to use the time larning stuff, even if it's not too relevant to the tune I'm currently putting most of my time into. Then when I come back to producing I either start something inspired by the knowledge, I have something random which is neither a tune in it's own right or something that fits a current tune, but something to save for later or I attack what I left.

I find going through old tunes, finished or unfinished and those little hooks (random bits) that were written and never used, really helpful and inspiring.

I'm also a hive of activity after coming back from a really good rave.

Reading about techniques and tips is useful, yes. I did it for about 3 years before i actually finished a tune. but that alone will not allow you to progress, and get closer to making a tune sound good. You can be the greatest walking encyclopaedia of production, that means nothing if you havent actually practice that knowledge. Theres so many ways in making a particular sound, that by just reading up on some of the ways in making them, you only see the small picture.

whenever i feel a lack of creativity, i stop working on any projects i have, and start messing around with processing one shots, orjust making weird sounds with synths and samples. And just by doing that, an idea is bound to land. Even if it doesnt, you have gained experience in using pluggins. Is win-win really.

reading about production in forums is cool, and it might shed light to many issues that puzzle you. But nothing comes close to hands on practice. Production is close to learning a musical instrument. It takes talent, but above all practice.

i think you can use up your creativity and then you need to almost charge it back up again. Usually after finishing a track and am semi pleased with it. Starting a new track can be a head fuck. Best to go watch films, read books and get inspired again.
very good thread

yeah i only just learned the value of breakin, rather than my routine of make a beat all day, go sleep, wake up and continue makin the beat and repeat till im so sick of makin it that i end up puttin on it on my page without a proper mix and millions of flaws i know are there purely because i feel i should have a product after all that head stress and chain smoking and i have no desire to ever listen to it again lol.

Back
Top Bottom