Sounds and VST problem

AUT

Hi guys!

I have just started my path in drum and bass production and after my first production I am stuck because I can't find the sounds I want.

I use ableton with Massive, Nexus, Kontact and Battery, I think they are good VST, but everytime I write a lead or a bass I stay one hour on browsing my presets and I can't find a sound that fit with my idea.

When I produced my first track I was lucky, I chose the sound a little randomly, but now I don't know what to do.

Any suggestion?

Watch some youtube tutorials on those synths you have. Also, keep in mind that you can use presets, but tweak some of those knobs to make the sound fit the song.

Without learning a little bit of sound design, you're going to find it pretty difficult to get the exact sounds you want.
Open up massive on a blank patch, then start playing with the different sections, starting with the oscillators and filters. If you don't understand what something does, google it first, then try asking on here.
Youtube tutorials are a good shout too, they come in all sorts of levels, from beginner to expert.
Once you have a rough idea what all the main controls do, you'll be able to customize presets, or even make your own.

There is a bunch of DNB preset packs you can buy online if you fancy dropping some ££'s.

Would be much better to learn a bit of sound design though. It's half the fun of making music once you get into it.

Complementing my answer, when you are synthesizing your sounds inside Massive, please, don't make the "dimension expander" the main tool there. There are lots of tutorials where the guy simply doesn't know what he's doing, and just put LOTS of dimension expander to make it "sound" better.

Complementing my answer, when you are synthesizing your sounds inside Massive, please, don't make the "dimension expander" the main tool there. There are lots of tutorials where the guy simply doesn't know what he's doing, and just put LOTS of dimension expander to make it "sound" better.

I legit love dimension expander for reverby-big-reece-fx and pads : 3.

Back
Top Bottom