Soundproofing Walls

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Easy :) Whats the best stuff to line my walls with in the corner of my room surrounding my decks? What is that 'spikey' foam stuff called and where is the cheapest place to get it?!

Cheers :)

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Not sure soundproofing is the word actually!!

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

looking expensive after a bit more searching :/

It depends why you need it, diffrent freqz require diffrent methods, mostly tho you will get a better result from arranging your studio diffrently, unless you have plenty of spare cash and ALLOT of space.

If the problem is noise outside your house, very heavy curtains, layered, may help, if you have standing waves/big bass resonance, then you will have a much tougher time getting rid of it, time to move rooms or rearrange. heavy matirial on the walls can help to reduce some hi-freq reflections, but again, lots of £ and space required for that if you want it done properly.

avoid having your speakers close to hard surfaces (walls/windows/etc), have them at least a few feet away if possible, measure the distance between your monitors, and try and keep the wall behind you at least double that distance. the best you can hope for really, is to keep the stereo sweet point as clean as possible.

what is it is you are hoping to achive? maybe some other solutions...

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

edit: as this only seems to be for djing, i wouldnt bother to much, my points are more for production, I guess your trying not to piss your neighbours off to much or something? only option really is to turn it down, or try adding a hi-pass filter to your setup, I monitor @ 100hz> in the late evenings, and 150hz> late at night, as these freqz carry the most

i remember someone telling me that this one guys dad stuck up open egg boxes all on his walls, its probably used the same idea as acoustic foam. also i remember seeing human traffic and saw something similar

i remember someone telling me that this one guys dad stuck up open egg boxes all on his walls, its probably used the same idea as acoustic foam. also i remember seeing human traffic and saw something similar

One of the biggest myths in music, doesnt really do anything. Not worth the time spent collecting egg boxes/eating eggs like theres no tommorow!

Bass traps; start with the corners, then first reflection points, then rear wall.

I built my own 120cmx60cmx15cm bass traps using semi rigid 48kg/cm3 fibre glass board. This is the most effective and cheapest solution. To build 8x traps cost me around au$250. Most common fibre to use is OC703 but there are cheaper alternatives (in my case I couldn't find 703 so went a local company). The same stuff is used in industrial acoustic treatment for huge aircon units to dampen the sound.

There's a whole science to acoustic treatment, just find out how far you want to go. :) I probably went too far but I've got OCD so that's ok. :p will show pics of my setup later on.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Btw my setup is for production so probably don't want to go as far as I did. But I would still go the fibre board, maybe 5cm thick just to cover the surrounding area. With enough treatment though, it will act as sound proofing as well as acoustically.

Back
Top Bottom