soundcard question

Discussion in 'Production' started by griff71, Jul 24, 2011.

1. griff71

griff71 New Member

hi
    just a silly question really.
    had fl studio for a while now and just been running it on my laptop, finally got round to actually completing a tune but the sound keeps popping and then fl just dies. i've done all i can with the buffer, to no avail.
    i'm just using asio but even thats not enough so was wondering what soundcard may help cut the cpu down.i'm on a bit of a tight budget to begin with but will upgrade again when i'm a bit more flush so if anyone has any tips on a decent budget soundcard i'd appreciate it as i'm getting fed up of having to render my tune so i can listen to the changes i make. must have done that 30 times now...................................................
    i also tried bouncing some tracks and then shutting off the vst's but even that does sod all.
    cheers in advance to anyone that can be arsed to reply.

griff

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

lots of things it could be, when u say asio, do you mean Asio4all, worth a try if not

could be that your harddrive cant keep up with the number of channels, laptop hdd's are usually only 5200rpm which can lag with anything more than 10 channels of streaming audio, a soundcard isnt going to help that unfortunetly

whats the CPU % before it dies? if its pretty high, then a soundcard could help, pretty much any asio compliant low latency card will do, plenty of options in this forum, have a search...

how much memory do you have? whats the cpu? have you got stuff like Anti-virus running in the background? switch *everything* off that is unrelated to production (better still, have a clean production only windows install)

have you tried rendering the track, does that work?

3. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

When you say buffer, are you talking about memory cache size or latency? Can you adjust latency somewhere? (no idea about fruity)

Anyway, everyone's a bit jumpy round chch recently, maybe your lappy's feeling it too! :teeth:

4. Attire

Attire Last Winter

There's an option somewhere in FL Studio to "smart disable" plugins, it basically switches them off when they're not in use. Reduced CPU usage for me! :p
    Look in the options menu or something.

5. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Hey, you've aged a year since I replied 4 hours ago so Happy Birthday too if that's for real.

6. griff71

griff71 New Member

hey guys thanx for the posts.
    in reply to your birthday question subprime, no it aint my birthday, just never use real ones online as i rectum its a bit dodgy with all these fuckers stealin yer i.d.
    ok so just to fill in on more details, i already smart disable plug-ins when i need to, also when i said buffer i did mean latency, i turn it all the way up and no difference. i get my cpu right up to 90+% before she starts to pop and go mental but then fl just crashes (not every time). i'm using asio-4-all when i use fruity apart from when i'm online at the same time watching tutorials and bouncing between the two trying things out. i still get these problems when i'm offline and running asio. i've got my computer down to running only necessary programs apart from avast and internet explorer for watching the tutorials.
    my lappy is a wee bit outdated, its running on;- amd turion 64x2 mobile technology tl-60 2.00 ghz. got 4 gig of ram and operating on vista if that means anything to you younger guys as i only understand the ram bit. oh and its just a basic hp laptop with 250gb hard drive but yeah only 5200rpm.
    i was just wondering if an external sound card might take a bit of the strain off the cpu or not. i will be upgrading my computer in the future but i'm paying for a motorbike at the moment so the new computer will have to wait.
    appreciate all the replies so far,
    all the best
    griff.
    p.s subprime
    its fookin snowing here today so that will piss off all the poor bastards whose houses got munted from the earthquake. thank fuck my wee hovel is still standing.

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Yeah saw that. I'm in Ashburton and we didn't get anything! Went right around us, my daughter is really annoyed lol.

Anyway, no more ideas but I had a little dual core lappy with 2 gb ram and that maxed out quite quickly, when I got a quadcore desktop with 4 gb ram and faster hard drive it made heaps of difference. (y)

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

disable Avast while u are producing, that will help allot, Avast checks files constantly, no good when u are streaming lots of audio of a harddrive (drum samples etc)

a soundcard isnt going to help at this point

the only thing i can suggest apart from that is bounce everything, with Avast off, you should have enough power to play it all

9. griff71

griff71 New Member

ok i'll try that, i use the internet between workin on tunes but i'll just have to disable as i go along. i also changed all my system performance to reduce cpu on graphics etc so i'll see how it goes.
    cheers

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

the only problem i have is that i travel heaps so will probably end getting a laptop, bit too much hassle carrying a desktop around the world. i see there a few more modern ones that are pretty much built for music production, i was thinking of getting a 'SCAN 3XS PERFORMANCE SP17.' but will check out my options when i get some cash. the earthquake has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works as far as money goes at the mo but i reckon the rebuilding will start in the summer so plenty of bricks to be layed........
    as for the snow, i left the u.k after the shit winter they had there and now i'm here suffering de-ja-vu. roll on summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!