sound system for bedroom.

CrusiFex12

im looking to purchase a soundsystem to go with my turntable set up. i have mk II 1200's and an american audio Q-D5 MKII mixer. i have a budget of around £400. preferably i want to get two active speakers which give out a lot of bass yet have good sound quality. not sure whether i have enough cash for a sub as well.. can anyone recommend any decent speakers/packages, the brands to look out for and the brands to stay clear of? oh and the soundsystem will be used to play at house parties so will need to be powerful enough for that! :) any advice will be much appreciated!!

Mate you dont need subs in your bedroom. I used to have 2 waist high 18" inverted subs we used as a system sitting in my room and it was too intense.. Just a good pair of monitors will do you £2-3 hundred.

ok fair enough but will monitors pack enough bass? it will be used in my house at uni next year and for parties there.. if monitors are fine for this, any brands you recommend? cheers

ive got some fairly shit speakers from my brothers 8 year old cd player an they beast my room an i have now sub so big good quality monitors shud do u fine

I would not use an expensive set of monitors for a house party!

Get some monitors for when your mixing normally but if your throwing a house party I would get hold of a PA

Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm looking to get some Rokit 6's for my home setup, is there any difference in getting the active ones, in terms of sound quality / power, than running passive ones into my Technics SU 550 (?) amp?

well mate, if you are getting them to produce I would imagine the active ones are better, as the amp will be completely flat, and I imagine the technics amp will have a hifi type EQ (more from the bass and treble, less of mid) so not be a flat/accurate representation.

to be honest I haven't seen the passive ones on sale I don't think... how much is the savings?

handy thread, was just thinking about what system to get too, with a budget of around £400.

Think I'll be investing in some Rokit 5's - need them mainly for my bedroom but also for the occasional house party.

do you think the rp5's would have enough wack for a house party in a fairly large room, as I was thinking of buying a cheapish sub (300-400watt) mainly for the party's so I can give it some proper beans when I want to!

just wondering what sort of size sub you would recommend for the rokit 5's?

or should I just sack the sub and get rp6's ?

(slight thread highjack!)

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=KRK10S

that is the sub they make to go with it and that is 10 inches so you have to expect that would do. Although it is meant to be part of a monitoring system, not a sound system for parties so probably isn't what you want.

Do you need monitors? I personally wouldn't buy monitors for DJing (if you are producing then they can be well worth it, but I wouldn't get any without having been producing a long time and having got to grips with what I was doing anyway) but instead get some big meaty stereo speakers. I am just using some wharfedale diamond 9.1s at the moment, and they do the trick for DJing (not parties really) but am gonna get a sub anyway. for parties the best bet is to find a mate with a PA system ;)

Yeah that's fair enough, production is something Ive had a look at it, and will certainly try getting back on it when I have a nice setup in my room. just want some really good quality speakers for my bedroom that I could occasionally bring out for small parties and hook up to a big cheap sub (cant afford the rokit10, my mate has one and its well decent but costs £400 odd i believe!)

still going to consider the rokit5's, how little could I spend on a setup if I just bought stereo speakers & sub do you reckon? roughly?

ta for the advice!

you gotta scour ebay to get the real bargains or cash converters and the like. even oxfam and car boot sales have been known to throw up some gems.

The speakers I have cost 100, and the sub to go with it costs 150, but then you would get an amp, and I have no idea how much that would set you back as I was given mine free by work!

Get the 'Aperion Intimus 5B Harmony' and the Stanton T.80 Digital Direct Drive Turntable. Both fit your needs bro. Here's why:-

1. Great Base coming in from the Aperion.

2. Excellent mid-range from the Aperion.

3. The Given Stanton model was voted best by DJ Mag for the beginners set of equipment.

4. I am no Salesman, take my word for it.

Back
Top Bottom