Sound Quality Question

DJ Spliff

Never Enuff Vinyl
VIP Junglist
I got Return To The Temple EP - Break in the mail the other day. I was playing 'Now It's Going' and it sounded like shit. Now I've replaced my needles recently so I thought "great my speakers are fucked". But I put in Friction's 'Assassins' CD and played the same tune and it sounded great. I've been using a Numark DM10001X for the past 3 years. I've actually owned it for a lot longer than that but have been really practicing diligently for the past 3 years. Can the sound quality on a mixer degrade over the years? Will a newer higher-end mixer have better sound quatlity? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Did you play the CD through your mixer?

Did you play the record on a different system? It could have just been a bad pressing.

However, numark products have been known to disintigrate very quickly - my bets are that your mixer is dying.

No I didn't play the CD through my mixer. I don't have a CDJ (yet). so it was just through a CD player hooked up to my stereo. So it could be my mixer? Not all of my tunes are sounding like shit just a select few.

No I didn't play the CD through my mixer. I don't have a CDJ (yet). so it was just through a CD player hooked up to my stereo. So it could be my mixer? Not all of my tunes are sounding like shit just a select few.

Play a track and wiggle all the EQ knobs & Line faders on your mixer, if it is your mixer you will hear some crackling or drop outs when you wiggle the knob or fader. Some of this is easy to fix some of it is not worth fixing depends on $$. If a new fader is 10$ no problems, but if its the board with all the eq knobs on it - things can get pricy quick

Play a track and wiggle all the EQ knobs & Line faders on your mixer, if it is your mixer you will hear some crackling or drop outs when you wiggle the knob or fader. Some of this is easy to fix some of it is not worth fixing depends on $$. If a new fader is 10$ no problems, but if its the board with all the eq knobs on it - things can get pricy quick

I actually made a thread not too long ago about a crackling sound I was hearing from my bass EQ. And sometimes it seems like there is a short in my line faders but I haven't heard that in a long time. I've been shopping for a new mixer for a while already. Think I want to get a Xone 32 and add a CDJ whenever I can.

I actually made a thread not too long ago about a crackling sound I was hearing from my bass EQ. And sometimes it seems like there is a short in my line faders but I haven't heard that in a long time. I've been shopping for a new mixer for a while already. Think I want to get a Xone 32 and add a CDJ whenever I can.

XONE32 is the worst mixer allen & heath makes. Get the 02, 22, 42, or 92 - nothing else will suffice

I have had two friends that have owned the 32. One of my friends threw it in the garbage.

Shitty cue buttons, the eq is only a -db and not a isolating cut off. The effects are gimmicky as hell, and likely will break down.

This is one of the oldest (and lowest quality) in the whole Xone line.

Might as well just keep your numark if thats what you are hoping to upgrade to.

this happened to me also some of my records sounded good but some of mines sounded horrible so then later i realized my cables that i was using to plug my speakers to my mixer were crap because i bought them from radioshack so i got monster cables(little expensive) and used it and my records that sounded horrible, sounded great so i think the cables make a big diffrence for sound quality

My copy of Return to the Temple EP sounds like shit too. Fucking quality tracks but the vinyl sounds overly noisy and compressed. Even sounds shit on the shogun website compared to their other previews.

Xone 42. Rember Pat we were talking about this like three days ago man. I pmed you to congratulate you on getting the cdj steup. Am I that forgettable?:(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom