Sound Processing

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Jan 10, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

What do you guys prefer and why?

Make you sound > bounce > process

Process straight from the synth?

2. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Lately I'm bouncing as much as possible to save on cpu, I had a massive hardware failure on my PC so in the meantime im working off another comp with a minuscule amount of RAM. But usually when memory was no issue I would tend to do a bit of both.
    Exporting the original synth, modulating it some more, chopping it up, playing with distortion and reverb techniques etc then exporting again and layering over the original sound or using it as another variation section, depends what it ends up sounding like.
    Sub Bass i tend to use in a synth. as its usually a flat sound that has no effects or very little movement apart from pitch bends and attack etc.
    Everything else I will export and use the original depending on the track.

3. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

sound so simple and effective - cant believe ive never even considered this :)

4. Sammy Dexcell

The most surprising technique I did recently with good results was I had a piano that I was making chords with I took the chords i was doing and turned them into an arp going from the root to the top chord and back down. I wrote them in backwards to the sequence my original chords were doing.
    I exported it put it into some distortion plugins and then a reverb, then exported the noise again, half timed it and reversed it. Came out pretty nice as a noise for an intro with the original chords playing over the top.

I wont even get into what i do for techy basslines lol i go on a mad one sometimes lol

5. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

fuck... ok well i guess i still got some years to go then haha

i do go on some mad processing missions but shit gets over complicated and all over the places and i end up just allowing it and closing my mac... 3/4s of me actually hates producing lol

6. Sammy Dexcell

Mate not every tangent turns into a tune. I've spent many hours and got nowhere. But the joy about production is that nothing is ever a waste. You can still salvage a noise or learn some new techniques etc

Only hateful thing i got against producing is sometimes feeling really un-inspired when I open up FL. Those days are a true waste of time!

7. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

no fo shooo im always coming up with a loop of something and thinking "fuck that intro i made back then would defo work here" or instead of going through my 5000 kick samples i just browse my old projects for something ive already layered/processed etc saves time.

8. Sammy Dexcell

Exactly that! Staying on topic that is a good reason why even if a project your working on ends up shit, its always a good idea to bounce the good parts you've done for later use.

If I had a quid for every cloned copy of sample on my hard drives I'd be close to a billionaire! (dragged sample_22535_part_1 / part_2/ part_3 :rolleyes: )
    I always say I should clean up my PC from these but never do, im too scared to delete something important so I end up keeping everything!

9. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

A good way of being able to utilise both synths and audio is to always keep the synth channel but freeze it (Logic based action) and then it doesn't use CPU. Then you can always go back and make tweaks, then slap it on the audio channel you've been messing with. But thats pretty obvious lol.

10. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

/\ What he said fa sho', Ableton has freeze actions as well.

11. Nekruj

Nekruj Member

Agreed with exporting samples. It saves alot of cpu and you can modulate sounds even more.

12. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Wish ableton had an easier way to drag bounces clips onto your desktop, like that button in edison