sound manipulation exchange thread

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
Thought a thread where people can exchange 'FX' ideas to spice up their tracks might be good, i'm always experimenting with weird sounds and have heard sum awsome stuff on here..

try to keep them as unspecific as possible so they can be easily applied to any DAW/VSTs/etc

Heres 2 from me that can be used togther...

Massive Stereo said:
I love automating things, autopan and wideners can be good, but this little tip will give you a huge amount of control...

you need a stereo multi-tap delay plugin with MS delay timing, filtered delays make for more interesting fx. (ableton:filter delay, or waves multi-tap VST, or your daw's builtin multitap delay)

add as an insert
Set WET to 100%
Set DRY to 0%
add 2 delays panned hard left and right, set their timings to: 5ms left, 15ms right
add another delay panned center, set its delay to 10ms

this will give you a very big stereo sound, change the values to suit the sound, smaller diffrences between the ms delay will give a narrower soundscape...automate all of them for extra movement. works on ANY sound, I use it on basslines quite a bit, switch the filters on and play!

you can take this even further using 3 or more Sends, i'll leave u to work that one out tho...

Houston we have a problem said:
Insert chain should look like this: source sound > bitcrusher/redux > graindelay/beat repeat

great fun! add the massive stereo tip above for crazyness, it can go anywhere in the chain after the source sound, expirment!

going to try these when i get home then... sound like they could be handy for spicing up my roots and culture remix

I recently am learning the advantage of splitting your bassline into Low, Mid and High frequencies and then affecting each one differently for a different sound
Here is a video that explains the process in Ableton, obviously the same principal will apply to any DAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9S6NqfWhtU&feature=player_embedded

Actually... I'd advise you to become proficient with splitting your Bass into '2' sounds first.
The "2nd" Layer generally covers 150hz and above.

Actually... I'd advise you to become proficient with splitting your Bass into '2' sounds first.
The "2nd" Layer generally covers 150hz and above.

I've got a question...
So obviously you will have a sub-bass layer... we will say 80hz and under for example.

So then if I split my main bass into two parts what frequency ranges would that cover? If I went by the value of 150hz then I would have the bassline badnpass into 80hz-150hz and then highpass 150hz and above?
And then sidechain the 80-150 range with the kick drum?

Or... would I simply just low pass the main bass at 150hz and then highpass 150hz and above?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom