Sound FX / Effects used in dnb.... how to???

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
Can anyone care to share the best way to get sounds like the rings n chimes used in jungle and how to do the shuddering up sweeps / down sweeps used in todays jump up??

Basically any FX that can be used

tbh you can get a good sweep from just a whitenoise oscilator and using pitchbend. with fx n stuff id just collect samples, there's a lot of good stuff out there just gotta be prepared to hunt. Also samplepacks ofcourse, there's a hell of a lot of FX sample packs available.

alot of sounds just arent achievable through synthesis and i find samples always useful but be clever with them, manipulate them and mould them in anyway u can, processing and resampling etc

^^ This all over... Sample destruction! Massively flexing stuff always for interesting sounds, basically just mess around, its the only way (y)

As previously posted - take ready-made FX sample and then process the hell out of it. I like to combine several FX together and them bounce them to a single audio file...and then process them again. Another option is to throw an FX sample into your software sampler of choice and start going crazy. Also, there are a few sample packs that offer ready made FX formatted for software samplers that have proven very valuable to my collection. Specifically, XXL Dance FX for the EXS24.

When all else fails, you can't go wrong with some good ole' white noise modulation.

Creating up sweeps,down sweeps are pretty easy just assign pitch to adsr envelope and increase attack and there you go..

just reverse your sweep up for a sweep down, for fx i think you should create these yourself, i use snippets of samples to create my fx, but iv also used synth stuff and stuff im recorded with the audio recorder.

I've never used a sample that I haven't synthesized myself because I feel as though I wouldn't have proper control over the sound. Then again, I use Reason, so I can't be arsed to load a bunch of samples into the NN-XT, process, export, re-load, boring...I also don't use a lot of FX, I use effects on aux sends.

Someone mentioned FM - that's the ticket for chimey sounds.

A shuddering sound - I'd love to be able to make. I would automate the filter cutoff, LFO amount&rate to cutoff, pitch, LFO amount&rate to pitch. It seems to me that it's really about having control over the rate and depth of the LFOs to get the movement desired. Using noise is a great idea.

I like an iPhone app called "8bitone", I saw it in Bonobo's production masterclass and its really nice for some quick, jungleish FX.. Just pass it on to the DAW and do your processing there

white noise with filters, reverb etc

percussion hits with a shit loads of reverb/ delay

take noises and reverse them, add loads of processing etc

there are loads of samples around that you can use, but personally i think its fun and more rewarding to make your own

I've never used a sample that I haven't synthesized myself because I feel as though I wouldn't have proper control over the sound. Then again, I use Reason, so I can't be arsed to load a bunch of samples into the NN-XT, process, export, re-load, boring...I also don't use a lot of FX, I use effects on aux sends.

Someone mentioned FM - that's the ticket for chimey sounds.

A shuddering sound - I'd love to be able to make. I would automate the filter cutoff, LFO amount&rate to cutoff, pitch, LFO amount&rate to pitch. It seems to me that it's really about having control over the rate and depth of the LFOs to get the movement desired. Using noise is a great idea.

OFF TOPIC : Reason has some great stuff :) It's the first daw i've used/ first love..yea. but not too much ago i've discovered ableton. Rewiring these two you will do many more !!! almost anything.

Back to the topic . I like processing other samples :) you can get amazing results :)

Back
Top Bottom