Sound design question

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

How do you make the reece style sound that changes phases speed dependent on pitch (aka. higher the pitch faster the wobble and vis versa..?) in massive or es2 in logic?

[​IMG]

2. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

That technique was traditionally created when reece's were put in samplers, and the natural phasing changed rate when the sample was triggered at a different pitch.

You should be able to recreate that effect in massive by modulating the pitch of a couple oscillators by about 10-15 cents with keytracking (KTR), which will change the detune and therefore phase relations of the oscillators played at a different pitch.
    Usually the phasing speed changes at a different pitch anyway, you need to make sure all your oscillators are free, and they dont reset phase every key push.

Also, keytracking modulation is especially handy in massive with filters, where you can modulate the rate of an LFO which is modulating the filter (usually high bandwidth bandpass or notch) to create the pitch-dependant speed at a more noticable level.

lostnthesound and D-Jhepz like this.
  3. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

woah.... ok

THAAAAAANKS

4. thedjnifty

thedjnifty Well-Known Member

Basically just get 2 oscillators of the same waveform and detune them each way by as much as you want... I find 0.33 each way works pretty nice so you have one at 0.33 and the other at -0.67, and that's the basic start to the wobble you're after, you'll probably find for it to be really noticeable though you're gonna have to play notes that are quite a bit higher or lower than eachother though (or do as the other fella said above), but that's no bad thing really, playing notes that are quite different in pitch usually adds to the whole effect if you ask me

Another cool little tip is to add a fairly slow glide time and overlap some midi notes, try it out it sounds wicked!

D-Jhepz likes this.
  5. Sulihin

Sulihin Active Member

6. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

ive watched that.. its where i got the thought from actually... just wanted more info doing it specifically in massive.

when i get on my computer il give all this a go thanks guys

7. BadnewsDnB

BadnewsDnB Member

detuning saws pretty much

8. Sulihin

Sulihin Active Member

Oops sorry, thought they did that bit in Massive, but it was in that other synth I don't have! Wish more people doing tutorials used Zebra2! Time to go watch some MrBill.

9. Krispy

Krispy Member

Massive can do keytracking as well to describe exactly what you want