Sorting Your Records

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
I know this is something that is down to personal preference and everyone does it differently but how do you sort your records?

It is starting to become a problem now my vinyl collection is pushing 300 and by the time I've found the next record I want, I've missed the best opportunity to drop it.

I've looked at other forums and posts and they have different suggestions of how to sort a record collection, but none seem to work that well for me:

BPM - With 99% of my records being DNB there is not that much difference.

Artist - I don't have the discipline to put everything back in it's right place, so after an hour of mixing they would be out of order again.

Label - Too many labels, and same reason as artists

Style - Again mostly DNB with only a few dubstep, jungle and house, and only range really from Zero-T softness to Rawtekk and Inasin at the other end of the scale.

Tunes that work well together - Whenever I'm mixing I don't really plan the set, so I just see what feels natural to move onto.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers, Alexi

many many threads on this already. but the majority decision seems to be thickness of vinyl, thinest at the the front to thickest at the back. i personally go for the lightest shade of black to the darkest shade of black at the back of my box. coloured vinyls go in the order of the colours of the rainbow

at home by genre then in alphabetical order by label

i only really play dnb when i play out so in my bag it's by sub-genre, it usually goes new jump up/old jump up/ragga/liquid/techstep then a few pieces with short intros sitting on the side just incase u a)get a reload and wanna tease something in or b) run out of tune ;)

By artist but you alrady said you didn't like that.

Other than that I would recomend by subgenre.

I don´t really sort them..which doesn´t mean I haven´t tried.
Got 2 curvers, one with DnB and the other with Oldskool/Hardcore Records..newer entries in the front:D

Just mix it all up, record a mix and get major props on the forum for mixin up the sub genres lol

lol, i often find myself dropping from some mimimal trip hop into techy glitch IDM because my record boxes are in chaos and i've just grabbed the first tune.

But i'll pretend it's groundbreaking mixing

Sorted by Label, then by cat number (so they're roughly in release order). Labels are loosly grouped by style

I got my records separated like so:

all the hard dnb stuff (neuro,tech,dark)

all the other dnb

dubstep

house,hiphop,breaks

Sorted by Label, then by cat number (so they're roughly in release order). Labels are loosly grouped by style

This.

But then a couple of days later I have no idea where one lable starts an another begins, dnt bother organising them mate I find I go through stages of using certan records anyway so the ones I want are always near the front anyway.

i have a big unorganised pile which i scrap helplessly through, praying to find the right vinyl before i miss the drop. sorting my records wouldnt be a bad idea actually...

I just have them in the order I randomly put them in, never change it and manage to remember kinda where they are.. Well usually

Someone wanna come to my house and sort 400 records out for me please?

i have a big unorganised pile which i scrap helplessly through, praying to find the right vinyl before i miss the drop. sorting my records wouldnt be a bad idea actually...

haha... i read the post and thought it said... SNORTING YOUR RECORDS!! haha

now that would be a good thread!

Back
Top Bottom