Sorry another bass question

aboyes

Can anyone offer any advice please to a beginner please?

I've had a look on the interwebs but cant seem to find anything. I have Ableton and have just gone through a tutorial on how to make a basic DNB beat from Music Radar which was really fun but I can't seem to find any bass tutorials.

Anyway I love the bass sounds Spor, State of Mind, Noisia and Mind Vortex make.

In particular -

Mind Vortex - Onslaught (bass also in at 1:28)
State of Mind - Snakecharmer (bass also comes in at 1:28)

I wasn't sure if you can post links but they are on youtube :) Can anyone describe where to start to try and make them? I'm hoping you can with 'Analog' and or 'Operator' and some of Lives effects?

I know that I should be making my own (which I will once I get my head around some of the basics) EDIT - Just thought that this question probably isn't basic!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, this is Onslaught -
and this is Snakechamrer

Hopefully the links work? I'm at work and youtube is blocked so I am unable to check :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know, I'm literally just trying to get to grips with synths etc so trying to gather up loads of knowledge tip n tricks. I dont really want to use presets

Anway on Onslaught I love the main bass part but also when it changes at 1:45 sounds amazing too. Are they using the same bass patch but with another layer of effects?

I dont really want to use presets

There's nothing wrong with that. IMO paying three-digit money for a piece of software entitles you to make use of any preset it comes with.

But I know, presets are more like a guideline to what the instrument can do. Mostly I just look up a nice preset that is close to what I want and tweak accordingly.

There's nothing wrong with that. IMO paying three-digit money for a piece of software entitles you to make use of any preset it comes with.

But I know, presets are more like a guideline to what the instrument can do. Mostly I just look up a nice preset that is close to what I want and tweak accordingly.

exactly this. why should i create something from scratch thats already there. as much as i love doing stuff on my own, its just not worth the effort as no one hears if you did it yourself or just used the preset. ^^

sound advice. If you take a preset and look at how it is set up - what has the person that made the sound actually done to get that result? if you don't want to use the actual preset, theres no harm in taking some ideas from it, then you can start building your own sounds from the techniques you learnt. Oh and save all the patches you make! You can edit them whenever you want and if it doesn't sound right in the tune your making right now it could sound great in the next one you start.

can you make a reece? have you figured out the frequency splitting? finally, did you resample it and filter. three fine bits to figure out to get a cool reece sound

No not yet. I assume that this is a good place to start? I've just found this that I will tackle later when I get home http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/how-to-make-a-reese-bass-sound-258701#content

Thanks for this. I will also check that out later tonight!

Yeah that is good advice, I've found a few presets in Analog and Operator but haven't messed about with them just previewed a few moved on till I found one kinda good but I still can't get the movement in the sound. It just sounds robotic and lifeless.

Cheers for the replies by the way!

try adding some extra effects like chorus, flanger, delay, reverb etc... to give some movement and prescence to the sound. try messing about with automating some of the parameters on the effects too

I had a quick play around with the Reece tutorial from music radar, which was pretty neat. I then layered it with a preset from operator and I added some overdrive which sounded a bit better. but still pretty lifeless.

As mentioned above I'll try some other effects too see if I can get some movement. I tried an autofilter and that sounded ok but not quite right. its good fun this :)

Back
Top Bottom