SONIMUS SATSON. Has someone tryed?

Rajstah Vibe

soundcloud.com/rajstah
VIP Junglist
Sonimus Satson Channel.
It's a small plug, and it cost only $39, but still...
Before to buy it, I would love to hear some of your review if you had the opportunity to use it.

Cheers

It just create a certain weird shaping of the phase, if passed thru a phase scope.
You can see that especially when there's not audio. I mean, if you sto the sequencer and check the phase visualiser, you'll see the scope shaking even if not audio come's thru...
I guess that's how should work an emulation of analog consolle??

But that doesn't happen with other plugs... mmmhh..
Interesting!
:monkey:

Interesting.

I know that there are some plugins that continue to work all the time, even in the absence of audio material. iZotope Vinyl is an example of this, and there are some guitar based FX that do this as well. I once had it on a channel strip and was wondering where all the "buzzing" was coming from, it was even present when I wasn't playing through the arrangement. Turned out the iZotope Vinyl just kept spitting out the noise through the output.

So to answer your question, I would speculate that yes, it's probably continuing to function even without the presence of audio material. I wouldn't sweat it though, if there is no audible noise there shouldn't be an issue. Or if you're worried, just disable that channel strip or set some automation to bypass the plugin when it's not in use. I actually do that a good deal of my plugins during quiet parts of a tune.

Cheers.

But what is interesting is that isn't there any sound or waveform or signal( apart phase one) coming thru!
So, what's that phase shaking applying to??? That's the interesting thing...

But what is interesting is that isn't there any sound or waveform or signal( apart phase one) coming thru!
So, what's that phase shaking applying to??? That's the interesting thing...

If I had to take a shot in the dark and guess, perhaps the meter is so sensitive that it's capable of picking up ground/signal noise below the frequency of human hearing...again, I have nothing to base that off of, just a theory.

Another theory, as you stated in your earlier post, is the presence of some inaudible "noise" that has to do with the emulation of the analog console Satson is based off of.

What DAW are you using and do you have your meter placed on you master out or directly on the channel that Satson has been inserted on? I'll try and replicate the same phenomenon through Logic this evening. It would be interesting to know why, even though it's not negatively affecting anything in terms of audio output/quality.

Cheers.

I use Ableton Live 8.
I've tryed both, master channel, or insert channel.
As a meter I use Nugen Visyalizer, but checked also PAZ.

Thing is, if is a very low signal, it should be below 10hz, as the spectrum analyser didn't show movements down to 20hz nor up to 25khz.
I was thinking that maybe would be the same effect of a voltage converter/adaptor of analog console?
But those converters they works between 40 and 60 hz if I'm correct... Therefore you can see and hear the signal of a converter.

It shouldn't be much problem for the audio quality.
It is maybe the trick on how the plug shape the sound and give certain characteristics...

Ok...
My jerking off has found an end... :jerkit:

I've placed the Satson in an empty track, after that it was the PAZ (which didn't show any movements), following it was the Nugen Visualizer with the VU meter, Phase analiser, and spectrum analiser.

So, the Visualizer's phase was shaking as soon I switched on the Satson.

I had a look to the spectrum and nothing...
But, look at the VU meter and sbang!

The VU meter was giving signal at -120db.

So, not many plug ins they go to show that deep lower level of spl (for what I remember)

My anger to know what sort of noise/sound/vomit was going on at that low levels, drove me to apply an ableton compressor just after the Satson.

I set the compressor with the minimum threshold (-66db), maximum ratio, fast attack and pull all way up the gain till 36 db.
While the Satson is off, nothing comes thru.
then I switch on the Satson and... NOIZZZZ!!! Kind of white one...
I duplicate the compressor and GSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Almost blow my headphones!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, yep.
Exactly as you said:
If I had to take a shot in the dark and guess, perhaps the meter is so sensitive that it's capable of picking up ground/signal noise below the frequency of human hearing...again
Except that it is not a matter of frequencies, it's just about spl.

And:
I have nothing to base that off of, just a theory.

now you got something to base on! ;)

So, conclusion of this post:
If you want to overmanipulate, in terms of gain augmenting and dynamic compression, a sound or a track that is been treated with Satson processor, be aware that you are on the way to find some unwanted noises.
Just don't augment the gain of the track more than 80db! lol :applause:

Last edited:
Ok...
My jerking off has found an end... :jerkit:

I've placed the Satson in an empty track, after that it was the PAZ (which didn't show any movements), following it was the Nugen Visualizer with the VU meter, Phase analiser, and spectrum analiser.

So, the Visualizer's phase was shaking as soon I switched on the Satson.

I had a look to the spectrum and nothing...
But, look at the VU meter and sbang!

The VU meter was giving signal at -120db.

So, not many plug ins they go to show that deep lower level of spl (for what I remember)

My anger to know what sort of noise/sound/vomit was going on at that low levels, drove me to apply an ableton compressor just after the Satson.

I set the compressor with the minimum threshold (-66db), maximum ratio, fast attack and pull all way up the gain till 36 db.
While the Satson is off, nothing comes thru.
then I switch on the Satson and... NOIZZZZ!!! Kind of white one...
I duplicate the compressor and GSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Almost blow my headphones!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, yep.
Exactly as you said:
Except that it is not a matter of frequencies, it's just about spl.

And:

now you got something to base on! ;)

So, conclusion of this post:
If you want to overmanipulate, in terms of gain augmenting and dynamic compression, a sound or a track that is been treated with Satson processor, be aware that you are on the way to find some unwanted noises.
Just don't augment the gain of the track more than 80db! lol :applause:

Well done sir! I appreciate you taking the time to figure this out, and now the cause/effect makes total sense...I hope your ears aren't still ringing from the noise explosion. :)

+1 for my friend.

How does this plugin compare to Fabfilter Saturn? I'm a bit confused as to whether if I have saturn something like this or Sausage Fattener are filling a completely different role or just a variant, or potentially easier for specific purposes in the case of Sausage.

How does this plugin compare to Fabfilter Saturn? I'm a bit confused as to whether if I have saturn something like this or Sausage Fattener are filling a completely different role or just a variant, or potentially easier for specific purposes in the case of Sausage.

Good question. I actually own all three, so let me break it down real quick.

Satson is good to use on on a group/buss track, a drum buss for example. Basically, it's used to adjust headroom and/or add some "thickness" to the sound. Cranking the gain knob to max results in "overdrive" characteristics, but the plugin itself isn't a true "distortion" unit. It breathes a bit of analog drive into the sound it's affecting. It's also equipped with a pair of very nice sounding filter knobs and a FAT switch.

Saturn is a full on multi-band distortion plug-in (similar to Ohmicide) that is simply incredible (and will be reviewed by me next month). Essentially, you can quickly select one or multiple bands and apply various amounts of distortion, as well as individual EQs, Cutoff and other paramerters per band. There's also TONS of modulation options, a gorgeous GUI, and essentially can do anything from adding subtle warmth to beef up harmonics to all out destructive waveform mayhem. The price of admission is high, but the plugin lends itself to serve many functions as the varying distortion types and options can be combined for infinite possibilities. I have found it excellent for everything from fattening drum parts to adding some "sizzle" to basslines. Fabfilter makes some of the best sounding and aesthetically pleasing plugins in the business.

Sausage Fatterner is...well, no one really knows really. From what I've been able to find out, it's essentially a simple 2 knob plugin that was created based on some "fattening" processing chains used by Dada Life (perhaps some drive, compression, etc.). It's similar to Satson in that it can fatten up the sound making the waveform look like "sausage" (the Sausage Fattener promo video on their site is priceless btw). However, it can also add some "crisp" to the sound. It depends on how hard you're driving the plugin. Personally, it's easily one of my favorite go-to plugins as it can be pretty much used on anything. Again, it's not a true distortion plugin like Saturn. However, driving up the knobs and gain can produce some overdrive like FX.

When it comes to buying, it depends on what you're after. Each plugin has it's own function and particular way of coloring the sound. I would suggest downloading a demo of Saturn and perhaps try to grab a demo of Satson via Computer Music. Dada Life is extrememly cheap and honestly, I would recommend it to everyone as a tool to keep around.

Cheers.

Last edited:
For the price out of those (even thought they are kinda different), Sausage Fattener has to win imo, such an awesome poduct and great value imo - thought I don't have Satson so interested to check it out especially after your review lost. Agree about Saturn, it's awesome but much more expensive, bang for bucks goes with the fattener between those two though :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lostnthesound again.

Thanks for the info! I already have Saturn, so was mostly wondering how useful Sausage Fattener and Satson would be. They're reasonably priced anyway so I'd get them eventually if they add value on top of Saturn. The Sausage Fattener promo is hilarious :)

Back
Top Bottom